A new book in my library. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_6477 copy.jpg

Arrived today. Members here are responsible. I'm still not buying any more books, however I had two Amazon gift cards from Christmas and at checkout discovered a $29 credit to my daughter which I was unable to eliminate from my order. Oh, well.

This new addition arrived a few days ago:

PXL_20220216_230406702.jpg

It cost me a pretty penny because of this little addition - Bader's signature:

PXL_20220216_230418600.jpg

It now sits on my bookshelf next to this rather unassuming volume which has a personal story attached:

PXL_20220216_230430130.jpg

It's a first-edition copy of Bader's biography "Reach for the Sky" by Paul Brickhill:

PXL_20220216_230448612.jpg

I first read "Reach for the Sky" at the ripe old age of 13 during a stay in hospital. My book had been a gift from a relative and was old but certainly not a first edition. Fast forward a dozen years and I was serving in the RAF with a secondary duty of being the Mess Secretary at a station where there were two officers' messes. A decision was made to close "my" mess as a cost-saving measure, and so I had a fairly busy time helping the President of the Mess Committee (of the Squadron Leader variety) and the Mess Manager (a former Army Warrant Officer) take care of the multiple tasks required to close the place down - furniture disposals, closing accounts, etc etc.

The mess had a small library that was seldom, if ever, used. At one of our meetings, the Mess Manager asked what he should do with the books. He'd spoken to the other officers' mess, the sergeants' mess and the station library, and none were interested in any of the books. The PMC decided to just throw them away. Being the cheeky chappie that I am, I asked if I could take any of the books that interested me before they were thrown in the bin. The PMC acquiesced to my request...and I duly pocketed the small, rather tatty, first edition copy of "Reach for the Sky."

Inside the book was a pasted library plate which, for me, was a fond reminder of that now-demolished mess, and the many happy times I spent there. It was also interesting to see the small stamp at the bottom of the page associating the book with RAF Nuneham Park, which had been a centre for photographic interpretation during WW2 and continued in that role until the mid-1950s. It seemed probable that my book was added to the library there before it moved to Brampton when the unit relocated once Nuneham Park was handed back to its owners:

PXL_20220216_230501190.jpg

Fast forward just a couple of years, and I was an exchange officer in Texas. My position meant we had pretty regular guests to our home, and on one occasion my wife pulled the book off the shelf to show it to a visitor. The hot, dry air of Texas had clearly caused deterioration of the glue that held the library sheet to the page. The small sheet of paper fell out...and revealed this:

PXL_20220216_230508514.jpg

Not only was my "free" copy of "Reach for the Sky" a first-edition...it was a signed first-edition with Douglas Bader's signature plainly visible.

It's not often that things like this happen to me...but this was one acquisition that I'll never forget.

Very cool. I only found out a few years ago that Brickhill himself was an Australian Spitfire pilot and POW :cool:

Yep...shot down over Tunisia and spent time in Stalag Luft III, and was a "stooge" supporting the Great Escape tunnels. Unfortunately (or, perhaps, fortunately!) he was barred from joining the escape bid because of his claustrophobia.

Last week arrival
IMG20220216102700.jpg

And yesterday arrivals (yes bended but fine and got a full refund, so fair enough)
IMG_20220223_110459.jpg

All thanks to last year hard work and yearly bonus (a couple more of books on the way in).

Last year was an asian spree and this year is a spanish fiesta.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back