A new book in my library. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am not a fan of those CGI photos in South Pacific Air War I'm afraid, other than that....most excellent book like the rest!

IMG_20230304_133636.jpg

Anyone got an idea as to why P-40E 41-5313 is mentioned twice in Appendix 1 - Allied Aircraft Losses and Fatalities?

First on the 2nd of November '42 "ditched in Bootless Inlet off Port Moresby, Lt Bryant Wesley was able to swim ashore....

Second on 30th of November '42 "Lt Bryant Wesley baled out near Dobodura after combat with Zeros....

Did they recover and repair 41-5313?

Anyone got an idea as to why P-40E 41-5313 is mentioned twice in Appendix 1 - Allied Aircraft Losses and Fatalities?

First on the 2nd of November '42 "ditched in Bootless Inlet off Port Moresby, Lt Bryant Wesley was able to swim ashore....

Second on 30th of November '42 "Lt Bryant Wesley baled out near Dobodura after combat with Zeros....

Did they recover and repair 41-5313?
It's possible.

Joe Baugher only lists the 2 November '42 incident.

Possible miss print.

Extract from Pacific Wrecs: Pacific Wrecks

49th Fighter Group History
Aircraft serial number from AFLC card "Wrecked 11.2.42 Bootless Inlet. Landed in water. Material failure."
PNG Museum Aircraft Status Card - P-40E Kittyhawk 41-5313 piloted by Wesley Protect and Avenge mentions this loss:
"The old stager Warhawk flown by Bryant Wesley had its engine seize up in the landing pattern and the Lt put the spluttering Warhawk down in the shallows of Bootless Bay, just south of the strip. Wesley swam ashore as the P-40 sank out of sight."

2nd Edit.
Byrant Wesley was shot down on 30 November 1942 while flying a P-40E, number not stated. The report from the same sourse as above states:
After bailing out, Wesley walked to Dobodura and met U.S. Army engineers near Dobodura Airfield and was flown back to Port Moresby. He returned to duty 2-4 days after this incident. For his service, he earned the Purple Heart and Silver Star.

Afterwards, he returned to the United States and was killed piloting P-40N 43-23739 that took off from Pinellas AAF on June 14, 1944 and crashed eight miles east of New Port Richey, FL.

So the other report to read Jan seems to have mixed up its details.

:D

Last edited:
Marion Carl was one of my heroes. I still have a letter that he wrote to me when I was researching the Buffalo. He shared some interesting insights from his experiences at Midway. It's a treasured possession.

Marion was an absolutely charming, unassuming gentleman. His murder, trying to protect his wife Edna from an armed intruder in their home, still makes me angry.

A great find for my little reference library – "Spitfire Smiths", the story of Canadian brothers and Spitfire pilots Jerrold and Roderick Smith, told through Rod's memoirs and Jerry's contemporary diary. Sadly, Rod took his own life in 2001. Before his death during the defence of Malta in 1942, Jerry Smith famously landed Spitfire Mk Vc (Trop) BR126 on the aircraft carrier USS Wasp, an outstanding feat of airmanship given that the Spitfire was not adapted to carrier landings and was not equipped with an arrestor hook. Smith had taken off from the same carrier shortly beforehand as part of Operation Bowery, tasked with delivering Spitfires to the beleaguered island of Malta. The Bowery Spitfires were equipped with auxiliary fuel tanks to give them the range needed to get from the western Mediterranean to Malta; when Smith realised that his fuel feed was faulty and he was never going to make it to Malta, rather than ditch the aircraft he decided to try to land it back on the carrier, which he did on the second attempt with a few feet of deck to spare. His American colleagues unofficially awarded him his US Navy pilot's wings in recognition of his achievement. Days later Smith took off from HMS Eagle in the same Spitfire and this time made it to Malta without a hitch. BR126 is a future project, and even a quick glance through the book confirms that it contains a wealth of information about the event.

book.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I am reminded of an incident about three decades ago when I was on holiday in Tenerife. The hotel was mostly occupied by Brits and Germans, and there was a degree of rivalry over people reserving the best sun-beds all day by leaving a towel on them first thing in the morning. The Brits tended to get up later, so missed out. Until one morning I noticed that a choice sunbed had a Union Jack towel draped across it, weighed down by a book. I still remember the title: "Malta - The Spitfire Year"

I am reminded of an incident about three decades ago when I was on holiday in Tenerife. The hotel was mostly occupied by Brits and Germans, and there was a degree of rivalry over people reserving the best sun-beds all day by leaving a towel on them first thing in the morning. The Brits tended to get up later, so missed out. Until one morning I noticed that a choice sunbed had a Union Jack towel draped across it, weighed down by a book. I still remember the title: "Malta - The Spitfire Year"
WW3 could be started any time around those sunbeds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back