A new book in my library. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It all boils down to supply and demand. Big markets in US, more demand, bigger market, more stock or license, smaller price. Small in Canada and Australia, less demand, less stock or license, bigger price. :thumbleft: :D
Except the 'stock' issue disappears when you're talking e-books.
this is why VPN's were invented...

Except the 'stock' issue disappears when you're talking e-books.
this is why VPN's were invented...

I totally agree with the first line and to a lesser extent the second

Actually books often have very different copyright conditions in different countries. Some books are copyrighted under one title in one country and another title in another country. There is often copyright on the composition (font, font size, layout etc), as well as the actual content. Where illustrations are not from the author naturally the artist holds the copyright to those illustrations - even though in many cases the artist is not credited anywhere in the publication. Those differing copyright conditions also can be linked to local publication which in turn sets different conditions not only on the hard copies but also on the electronic copies.

My grandmother in laws books are out of copyright in the USA but not in any Commonwealth country or in most of the EU which means Australian booksellers must legally purchase copies printed in countries where copyright is still valid but naturally the greedy ones import from the US. Amazon though pays the family trust regularly for all copies sold to buyers in countries where copyright still exists, regardless of where the book was printed.

I am guessing that Amazon would negotiate with the copyright holder if they wished to publish any books at a discounted rate and that the negotiations could include restrictions on the distribution.

1694071914216.png

Here is a little story about the YC-14 and YC-15. The Air Force received the two competing prototypes for a jet C-130 replacement and after doing some flight testing they asked the US Army for an input. The Army replied, "Nice to see you finally come around and talk to us. Neither of those aircraft meet our requirements because neither can carry a main battle tank."

BANG! END OF THE PROGRAM!

Years later, the C-17 program was proceeding and a Reagan Admin DoD official asked his USAF briefer what were the US Army inputs. The Air Force officer replied, "Well, sir, the Army supports our desire for improved airlift..."

The DoD official basically replied, "YOU IDIOTS! YOU ARE DOING IT AGAIN! GO TALK TO THE ARMY!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back