A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just got this one
1692923910952.png

and my daughter asked if I wanted this one for xmas. Silly question.
1692923959484.png

All I can find on it on the net is this quote which not seem to relate to the copy she has got me as she mentioned that it is labelled to Joe Bloggs xmas 1945

1692923248408.png

THE REAPER'S HARVEST THE STORY OF THE THIRD ATTACK GROUP WW2: 4to hardcover volume with embossed pictorial cover. A history and remembrance of the third attack group working out of Australia in WW2. Seems to be missing a title page but all the numbered pages are here. Quite interesting and scarce. 121 pages back end papers are a map of New Guinea and islands around it.

and

1692923123141.png

Okay, here is another one that looks very promising. It was an ebook on sale for $2.99 but I found a print copy on ebay for $10 including shipping. I have not read much about the Beaufighter except for nightfighter crew biographies. I have a Revell 1/32 kit I have not yet put together, the ship attack version.

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 18-04-06 Beaufighter Boys - 9781911667162 9781911667162 eBay.png

I sent a picture of a WWII USAAF P-40 in New Guinea to a friend of mine in Australia. He responded that if they really were in New Guinea they would have Aussie markings. The only Aussie aircraft in New Guinea I can recall reading about were Boomerangs. How many airplanes did the Aussies and Kiwis have in New Guinea and the Solomans?

Loads mate! The RNZAF alone used the Avenger, Dauntless, Dakota, Catalina, Hudson, Lodestar, Ventura, Sunderland, Corsair, Kittyhawk & Warhawk.

Wayne, I hope you're right mate!

Last edited:
Just finished this. It is detailed and fascinating. Interestingly, a lot of wood and concrete were used in building temporary patches to torpedo and bomb holes in the ships before pumping them out. Raising a huge ship on the bottom is as much figuring out how to get it out of the mud as it is getting it buoyant. I didn't know what a tremie pipe was until I read this book. (I'll bet a some of you know what this is.) The book discusses the dangers of the enormous amount of H2S (hydrogen sulfide) gas that builds up in a ship that's been flooded for more than month. It's very toxic and very explosive and it caused some tragedies during the time of the salvage. The author uses a lot of Naval terminology, particularly for the various "stuff" inside a warship. (It's a Naval Institute Press book.) There are more types of openings within a huge warship than you would imagine. The book is well worth the read.

20230827_231906_smaller.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back