A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got a new one the other day:

X-Planes of the German Luftwaffe, Prototypes 1930 - 1945

Pretty well covers all of the German air industry from Arado to Zepplin. Doesn't show the production models, of course, but only the prototypes that led to production (or never did). It also gives data on the various prototypes that were pressed into service even if there wasn't a production version (example: Bf161 and 162 Schnellbomber prototypes later were used in the Me163 testing program)

The book gives good data about disposition and Werknummers.

Hardbound, 288 pages loaded with archive photos (at least one per page) Author is Manfred Griehl and it's printed by Frontline Books [ISBN: 184832555-X]

X-Planes[382x522].jpg

Last edited:
Dave,

I'm very interested in this book, even more so after your little review. Would you happen to know if it is a reprint of the following, which I already have. (Tried writing to the publisher a bit back, but got no answer)

Luftwaffe X-Planes: German Experimental and Prototype Planes of World War II by Manfred Griehl (Jan 1, 2006)

515612WWF2L__SY300_.jpg

Thanks, Jim

Jim, this edition is a first edition, published 2012 by Frontline Books. The author hasn't made any mention of a prior publication in this copy.

I would strongly recommend this book, very informative and has 380 photos (many seen for the first time in print)

NICE! How the heck did you snag the Ju-88 already? It's not being issued here until October on this side of the pond.

Thanks for the heads up Dave, I was thinking the exact same thing as Jim.

Consolidated Mess, The Illustrated Guide to Nose Turreted B-24 Production Variants i USAAF Combat Service. By Alan Griffith

This is an absolutely fantastic book for anyone trying to sort out the many differences in the production blocks of the Liberator. It's filled with photos and scale drawings of every little change in the exterior of the B-24 from the time a greenhouse nose was taken off a B-24D and replaced with a tail turret, up until the final production block produced including many field modifications made by individual units. It puts all previous books I've seen dealing with the differences between the various models to shame. A Must Have for any one interested in the B-24!

Attachments

• P1010743-.JPG
    P1010743-.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 119
Well, now you guys had me curious about the two different books by Griehl so I had a look.

The older one, published in 2006, shows that it has only 80 pages. This new one published last year has, like I mentioned earlier, 280 pages and is by a different publisher entirely.

Not sure why the big difference between the two. Perhaps the older publication was more of a preliminary work and the latest is the result of deeper research.

I did see in the credits of my book, that Griehl sourced some pretty impressive origins, including former manufacturers and families of the people responsable for the design and construction of the aircraft.

Thanks guy's, I had to rebuy the Samurai book, I lent out my first copy and never got it back so glad to find this copy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back