A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This special issue of W H Smith's Classics Aviation, 130 pages of Dambusters....

DSC_0296_zps8b6d7017.jpg

DSC_0297_zpsb9b17331.jpg

Plus this, thanks Magister Terry.....

9781781770443_Z_zpse0d2c1a4.jpg

If he chose to use the 13th letter as well as the number 13 in his quest to model everything with a 13 on it, his options would become unlimited.

Geo

Sweet one Jan, you find a 13 dambuster yet LOL

Unfortunately not! :( :lol:

If he chose to use the 13th letter as well as the number 13 in his quest to model everything with a 13 on it, his options would become unlimited.

Geo

As in 'M' you mean? :lol:

Already have a bird chosen, ED912, AJ-N for 'Nut'....

AJ-N_zps14c02e61.jpg

Pilot:
knight_small-1_zpsfedff767.jpg

Pilot Officer Leslie Gordon Knight (RAAF)
Award for Dambusters Raid: Distinguished Service Order
dso_small_zpsc3ff6717.gif

Navigator:
hobday_small_zpsef3b7ec0.jpg

Flying Officer Harold Sidney Hobday
Award for Dambusters Raid: Distinguished Flying Cross
dfc_small-1_zps9479bc75.gif

Bomb Aimer:
johnson_small-1_zps453b4511.jpg

Flying Officer Edward Cuthbert Johnson
Award for Dambusters Raid: Distinguished Flying Cross
dfc_small-1_zps9479bc75.gif

Flight Engineer:
grayston_small_zps59ee539a.jpg

Sergeant Raymond Ernest Grayston

Wireless Operator:
kellow_small_zps6099d11d.jpg

Flight Sergeant Robert George Thomas Kellow (RAAF)

Front Gunner:
sutherland_small-1_zps7b8f343e.jpg

Sergeant Frederick E Sutherland (RCAF)

Rear Gunner:
obrien_small-1_zps1a44d1a0.jpg

Sergeant Harry E O'Brien (RCAF)

Edit:
Departed: 21:59 (16/05/43)

Knight (AJ-N) attacked the Eder dam bewteen 01:30 and 02:00 (17/05/43)
Knight was the third aircraft to attack the Eder dam
He performed one dummy run then went in for his final attack
His Upkeep hit the dam perfectly and breached it
The codeword "DINGHY" for a breach in the Eder was relayed to Harris, Wallis and Cochrane at Grantham
Returned: 04:20 (17/05/43)

Mission Duration: 6 hours 21 minutes

Last edited:
Halfway through this magazine....
DSC_0296_zps8b6d7017.jpg

Again, if you have a W H Smith near you, GET IT, it's well worth the money, £7.99....
Gonna try to get their Aviation Classics issue for the Lancaster now....

Excellent hauls folks! Keep up the good work. Just a reminder, don't forget that Amazon has had the Folke-Wulf Fw190 Volume 3 1944-1945 out for pre-order since about April and it will be out about the 10th of February 2014. Had my on order since I got notice of it.

Nice one old chap!
Any good?
Only had a quick glance through it so far, old chap. from what I can see so far, it's not unlike the 'At War' series, and appears to be more of a general overview covering the usual - design and development, into service, chapters on use by various air arms and theatres and so on. Photo quality id reasonable, and there's a few I don't think I've seen before.
If I'd bought this at full price (RRP £25, and I've seen it second hand for up to £140 !!!!) I think I would have been disappointed, but for £4.06 plus £2.76 shipping, I'm not complaining, and it may well turn out better than expected, once I get to reading it.

Got three more bargains from 'The Works'.
'The Silver Spitfire', as well as being Tom Neil's story, is the intriguing tale of how he 'liberated' a Spitfire for his own use, had it stripped down to bare metal, and how, when the 'authorities' were catching up with him, he 'got rid of it' ! I look forward to reading the details of this escapade!
'Catch that Tiger' is the story of the Tiger 1, now in the Tank Museum at Bovington, and how Winston Churchill personally briefed a young British officer to go and capture an example of this then fearsome new weapon.

Attachments

• Buys 274.jpg
    Buys 274.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Buys 273.jpg
    Buys 273.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 73
  • Buys 272.jpg
    Buys 272.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Back