A Queen question for our British cousins. (actually everyone, but them, mostly)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So, round a huge circle we go :lol:

We sit here in our sceptred isle and benevolently regard the world... content in the knowledge that our fledgling colonies have done quite well for themselves and that the Europeans are on the right track.

No wonder Queen Elizabeth is proud.

It is quite wonderfull being British.

John

"... sometimes a gentle (cough-cough), helping can do a lot to help, to stear the lost and unguided people on the right track... "

Take yer 'ands from 'off me arse, I'm not da girl for dat.

Michael, have you been drinking old boy? I hear that the Canadian winters are rather long and dull...but, er cough...:oops:

....and still, here am I and me fellow countrymen, them old norsemen, keep an eye on you unruly lot, as to not mess with our investment! :lol:

Jan, you lot made a complete balls by invading Scotland. The Danes were right to invade England, create 'Danelaw' and marry the local girls.

and we're back to talkin' 'bout Queens.

Live ones or dead ones? :twisted:

Freddie-Mercury.jpg

The Somerset name for escargot as a dish is wall fish. I knew a restaurant in Somerset that still served them.

To quote from Flanders and Swan about those foreign johnnies outside the sceptred isle: 'It's not that they're bad; it's knowing that they're foreign that makes them so mad.'

Writing as a North African Viking ex British SNCO resident in France I would like to declare that the Normans were French whoever their great grandfathers might have been.

English football fans might like to ponder over the fact that the 'Three Lions' English football shield symbol is that of Aquitane. It was also the Prince of Aquitane (Edward of Woodstock, later known as the Black Prince) who burned down my village. My neighbours seem remarkably forgiving.

I recall unfortunately offending oldcrowcv63 earlier. Can I just mention my mother was once a US Army Master Sergeant if that helps?

Last edited:
Writing as a North African Viking ex British SNCO resident in France I would like to declare that the Normans were French whoever their great grandfathers might have been.

I do apologise if I offended or in any way upset you Yulzari. I do hope that you do know what I meant though. :D

I would like to declare that the Normans were French whoever their great grandfathers might have been.

We'll have to disagree on that point as they were not French genetically or culturally. The Norman-French language still had many words and usages retained from the original Norse languages of the Normans' forbears although the invaders did adopt the Gallo-Romance speech of the indigenous people,just as they would adopt much Anglo-Saxon after the conquest of "England".
They just happened to settle an area which lies within modern France but that doesn't make them French.
Cheers
Steve

Complicated Steve.
French was the 'ruling classes' language for a long time and the Normans had little, or no intention of learning English.
I know that the French regard the 'northern French ( aka Normans) as a little odd, rather like Bretons I guess.
As 100% southern English I could say the same of those in the northern parts here :lol:
In fact, having thought about it.. living in the 'north' of any country attracts the same riducule from those in the 'south'...even though those in the' north' of France are only 22 miles away from the 'south' of Britain...
Arrrrrrrrrrrragh.

John 8)

Theym baint proper janners up country.

I would have put it in Lemesin patois like my neighbour, whose wife has to translate him into French, but my Parisian cousins already presume I've become a vrai paysan dans la France profonde and are amazed we have railways, electricity and internet (though we don't want to talk about drains.....)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back