A Queen question for our British cousins. (actually everyone, but them, mostly)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Love haggis, particularly the spicy ones. South of the border, I have a softspot for steak and stilton pies...mmmm, yum!

I heard a theory on the French meal of escargot.

During the Revolution, the French were so poor that they had to eat anything they could just to survive. In true French style, they managed to convince themselves that eating bugs fromthe garden was a delicacy.

Yes, I've tried them, no, I didn't like them

Heart disease not an issue in America Dave?
Sure is...so is obesity, and they blame it on the fast-food joints, etc. instead of accepting the fact that they're eating themselves to death :/

As long as I get my haggis, a proper spicey one, then I'm a happy camper!
Love haggis, particularly the spicy ones. South of the border, I have a softspot for steak and stilton pies...mmmm, yum!
Haggis is just wrong, pure and simple...it's just downright nasty...

Haggis[c].jpg

Ahhh, I see you found our secret weapon. What few people realise is that "Hurricane" was actually the second-choice name for Hawker's alliterative fighter. Originally, it had been named the Haggis in deference to the delicacy beloved of cultured palates but loathed by others lacking in taste (no offence GrauGeist!). Unfortunately, rather like the Enigma secret, it was felt that a direct reference to "the secret weapon" would reveal too much information to the enemy, hence the name-change to Hurricane.

Ahhh, I see you found our secret weapon. What few people realise is that "Hurricane" was actually the second-choice name for Hawker's alliterative fighter. Originally, it had been named the Haggis in deference to the delicacy beloved of cultured palates but loathed by others lacking in taste (no offence GrauGeist!). Unfortunately, rather like the Enigma secret, it was felt that a direct reference to "the secret weapon" would reveal too much information to the enemy, hence the name-change to Hurricane.
You know, I'm just full of s#it enough that I'm not sure if you aren't telling the truth.
Don't dissilusion me, however, if it isn't the truth.
I've never gotten over the Santa thing!

Hey, don't forget the Normans and 1066! The Normans weren't really French were they? The people that gave their name to Normandy, a region in northern France, were descended from them norse viking conquerors of that territory.....
See, we had had our '66, but you don't hear us go on about it! :lol:

Just to derail this thread even further! :lol:

Hey, don't forget the Normans and 1066! The Normans weren't really French were they? The people that gave their name to Normandy, a region in northern France, were descended from them norse viking conquerors of that territory.....
See, we had had our '66, but you don't hear us go on about it! :lol:

Just to derail this thread even further! :lol:

The accursed Normans eh...well, some one once said that Britain had gained more from the invaders than by invading others.

Mind you, where would the colonies have been without our gentle guiding hand?

John

Mind you, where would the colonies have been without our gentle guiding hand?

John

Have to agree there old boy, sometimes a gentle (cough-cough), helping can do a lot to help, to stear the lost and unguided people on the right track...

I heard a theory on the French meal of escargot.

During the Revolution, the French were so poor that they had to eat anything they could just to survive. In true French style, they managed to convince themselves that eating bugs fromthe garden was a delicacy.

Yes, I've tried them, no, I didn't like them

Escargot if made right, is great! I love it and can eat them by the dozen.

Edit: My wife the biologist wants to remind you that they are not bugs. ;)

He said: "... sometimes a gentle (cough-cough), helping can do a lot to help, to stear the lost and unguided people on the right track... "

She replied: "Take yer 'ands from 'off me arse, I'm not da girl for dat."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back