A Queen question for our British cousins. (actually everyone, but them, mostly)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Modern Indians don't. To them it is rightly a piece of ancient history up there with the Moghuls. Grow up and move on.

I am fortunate enough to have spent extended periods working in India with Indian colleagues and cannot tell you how much fun can be had with Monty Pythonesque "What did the British ever do for us?" type discussions.
Most educated modern Indian people,who speak the lingua franca (English as used in the Higher Courts,practicing law firmly rooted in English Common Law) are perfectly well aware that the great Indian democracy,in fact India as a nation,would never have existed without the British. I don't know one Indian who would support colonialism or any other form of foreign rule any more than I would, why the hell should they,but they know what they inherited and it wasn't just the Railways.
The largest democracy in the world is something the Indian people are justly proud of but the British can take just a tiny little bit of the credit too. This is not an apology for or justification of Britain's colonial exploits on the sub-comtinent. It's just a fact.
Cheers
Steve

I can't remember what that was! :(

Yes, and it's a given that we can blame then for whatever disfunction that occurs down here south of the border. It's our God given right as Americans. If only Canada would give us a pretext for invasion, it would solve so many of our problems. :mad: Of, course then we'd have to deal with the Quebecois. :cry: Probably better to just let sleeping pit-bulls lie.

Some idiot had a queen question, probably too lazy too google it himself...HEY, wait a minute...

Cynicism so early in the morn?
Somebody needs more bran in their diet!

Last edited:
I find it interesting that there is a donation box at the Tower Of London to help pay for the Royal Jewels. Needless to say, I did not donate any time that I have visited it. I have no problem donating to museums or what not, but not to "any" royal family.

I sure as hell am not going to donate though, to help keep crown jewels in pristine condition. That should fall on the monarchy themselves in my opinion.

Der Adler the monarchy certainly pays for the upkeep of their jewels. They could do this in the most economical way by banning the common people from wandering in to their palaces mansions (as was the case up until the last century)

But by allowing the great masses of citizens in, it brings on added costs to repair facilities, clean up rubbish, etc etc etc.
The donations are to help keep these places accessible to the public, not to buy the Queen's crumpets. :) (Or the Queen Mum's gin :eek: )

I can't remember what that was! :(

Yes, and it's a given that we can blame then for whatever disfunction that occurs down here south of the border. It's our God given right as Americans. If only Canada would give us a pretext for invasion, it would solve so many of our problems. :mad: Of, course then we'd have to deal with the Quebecois. :cry: Probably better to just let sleeping pit-bulls lie.

We'd like to sue for peace and we'll cede Quebec to you immediately. :shock:

Henceforth all demands, complaints snivelling written in French and sent to Ottawa will be forwarded to Obama in the White House. :p

We'd like to sue for peace and we'll cede Quebec to you immediately. :shock:

Henceforth all demands, complaints snivelling written in French and sent to Ottawa will be forwarded to Obama in the White House. :p
You could try,... He does alot of nothing for us, what's a little more?

Anybody remember the Conch Republic?

You could try,... He does alot of nothing for us, what's a little more?

Anybody remember the Conch Republic?
Hey, I do. Seems that a bridge to some of the Florida keys got destroyed in a storm, (long time ago) and nobody wanted to fix it. State said it is interstate highway so its a Federal problem, Feds said, nope it's the states problem...
Meanwhile the good people of the cut off area got a little p!ssed off, but still came up with a cunning plan.
The sent a telegram to the White House declaring Seccession, and incidentally, War. They followed it up with a formal surrender in another telegram one minute later.
Then one more applying for relief aid to repair their "war torn" country!
The road is fixed and we still have the Conch Republic, it's just under American occupation!

Britain is a modern 21st century state forming part of Europe. USA, Canada, Australia New Zealand et al are doubtless fine places and inhabited by fine people but Britain's neighbours are a short train or ferry ride away not a multi hour 950kmh flight. I can be English by nation, British by nationality and a European Union citizen and anywhere in the EU is my country. Maybe we could skip the British bit and return to an independent Commonwealth of England?

Er, no.

The Commonwealth (sic Empire) and our loyal friends over the pond have been family to us. Old crow's post sums it up well so, I'll not labour the point.
Much as Neil protests, the Canadians welcome a royal visit and the Aussie's have had plenty of opportunities to become a republic, but have voted not too.

If there was a serious referendum here to leave the EU what do you think the result would be?
Trading partners is one thing but, being part of Federal Europe is quite another.

My own view is that I have far more in common with our former colonials than Europeans.

AND, they truly love us in their heart of hearts.

Fish, chips and mushy peas anyone? We could sit, eat and watch a flypast by a Spitfire....

John

As one of our Prime Ministers stated the "Sun never sets as even god didn't trust them"

That made me laugh Neil.

Perfidious Albion

After the 19th century, relationships between France and Britain improved, since the growing power of Germany was a threat for both the countries. During World War I the two countries were allies in the struggle against German forces, leaving their historical rivalry behind.
However, the term "perfidious Albion" would have been soon used again by fascist powers in order to criticise the global dominion of the British empire, that drains resources and occupies territories while leaving nothing to emerging powers such as Italy or Germany which had limited colonial empires. Fascist propaganda depicted the British as ruthless colonialists who exploited foreign lands and peoples to feed extravagant lifestyle habits like eating "five meals a day". This detail struck a chord with the Italians, very few of whom at the time could afford to eat more than twice a day.
Benito Mussolini called the British Empire "Perfida Albione" after the Second Italo-Abyssinian War, because despite having carved out large colonial territories for herself, Britain approved of trade sanctions in the wake of Italian aggression against Ethiopia. In fascist propaganda, the sanctions were depicted as an attempt to deny Italy its "rightful" colonial dominions, whilst at the same time Britain was trying to extend its own influence and authority. Mussolini called "un posto al Sole" (a place in the Sun) the goal of the fascist expansionism, that is, an extended colonial and politic power in order to bring back the glory of the Roman empire in the Mediterranean sea and the influence of Italy in the world.
During World War II the term Perfida Albione was again used many times by the Italian fascist regime for propaganda purposes, but when the war in Africa was lost and the Allies were going to land in Italy herself Mussolini switched to a general invective against Western powers, especially the United States. In Mussolini's propaganda, Western nations were winning only because they had superior industrial and economic resources, and the superior skills and valour of Italo-German soldiers were defeated only by overwhelming numbers of men, weapons and machinery brought by "vile", "untruthful" and "wretched" plutocratic powers – with the aid of a claimed "Zionist conspiracy" against fascist powers.
After the end of the Second World War, the term survived in little neo-fascist groups, and its usage in war came again only in the Falklands War between Argentina and Britain.

Or are they just plain old jealous?

John

I guess that the British empire was interesting. Island nation becomes the first great super-power, Sun never sets, Heart of oak, and all that.
By the way, thanks to France for the help in throwing the b*ggers out!

We can also thank France, but...for different reasons ML :lol:

John

"..... After the 19th century, relationships between France and Britain improved ...."

100 years of bravado, ambition, patriotism, envy, (occasional) incompetence and ultimate failure will tend to change things ... from Trafalgar, to Moscow, to Waterloo to Sudan ..... to the Commune. By 1914, France was a mess ... but, too in-love-with-itself to see it.

MM

But by allowing the great masses of citizens in, it brings on added costs to repair facilities, clean up rubbish, etc etc etc.
The donations are to help keep these places accessible to the public, not to buy the Queen's crumpets. :) (Or the Queen Mum's gin :eek: )

Cries of 'let them eat cake' wafted over the walls of Buckingham Palace during one sumptuous afternoon tea party after Fergie had one gallon of gin too many...
How convenient to forget where a lot of royal hanger's on really came from...

Plymouth Gin is rather good ( he said ever anxious to promote his city). Try a glass if you get the chance..

Plymouth

Gin has a history, along with white bread of keeping the English proles in their place...for a while.

Gin Craze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John

100 years of bravado, ambition, patriotism, envy, (occasional) incompetence and ultimate failure will tend to change things ... from Trafalgar, to Moscow, to Waterloo to Sudan ..... to the Commune. By 1914, France was a mess ... but, too in-love-with-itself to see it.
MM

Mon dieu...what has changed since 1914?

A great country worthy of the name does not have any friends.
Charles de Gaulle

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back