A step back in history: Albatros DVa from Wingnut Wings models

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So, given that the nice, tiny nailing is still there but not visible under paint coat, unfortunately I took a drastic decision, I cleaned the fuselage back to plastic/primer.
DSCN1213.JPG
DSCN1214.JPG

Why that?

Honestly I didn't liked to much the grey livery, but it was one of the few options available while using those nails, but the nails are gone, so I will apply a different colour scheme, this one

Martin Klein 1918.jpg

That, according to the doc I red, was very likely in natural wood, not in grey...

Next step a new tiny coat of primer, then a coat of Tamiya XF-59 desert yellow followed by oil paints-
A bit challenging but intriguing, so I will try and see what happens.
Alberto

So, next steps on the new road.
First a modified profile to get the feeling:

Martin Klein 1918 wood.jpg

then the Desert Yellow coat:

DSCN1216.JPG
DSCN1217.JPG
DSCN1218.JPG

Grey parts in front will be painted metal grey, more less like this one

abatrosdva32jc_6.jpg

Tomorrow I will probably start playing with oils.
Alberto

Here following some pictures of the fuselage with the "wood effect" that I was able to achieve:

DSCN1225.JPG
DSCN1224.JPG
DSCN1223.JPG
DSCN1222.JPG

Also prepared lower wings that will be primed again a.s.a.p. and then painted mauve.

DSCN1227.JPG

Upper wing will be painted "Albatros pale blue"

Those background colours are needed because lozenge decals I purchased are transparent

More to follow soon, hopefully.
Alberto

Many thanks for all comments.
About the nails, I still have some left and once the "wood effect" is complete (I intend to try add some swirls and waves) and fully dry I will apply them in specific areas and see how it comes out.
Alberto

Many thanks for your suggestion Javlin, but for the time being I tried to get a reasonably good result using a fan brush and still oil paints, this is the result:

DSCN1232.JPG

zooming a bit more:

DSCN1231.JPG

DSCN1230.JPG
DSCN1229.JPG
DSCN1228.JPG

I will surely need some devices or trick to paint wood layers on propeller.

Alberto

Agreed. Well done.

Alberto , there is a couple of ways for making the wooden propellers. One is with using masking tape of course. But there is another one that can be useful as well and looks like the easiest one. I have found it on the Modelarstwo Plastikowe • Zobacz wątek - Albatros D.V Jasta 11 | 1:32 | WNW site. If you would be interested you may go through the entire thread. This is a great build of the Albatros fighter.

The real way of making a prop...

smiglo.jpg

Step 1... painting of the propeller with the light wood colour. Then drawing wood grain with crayons of brown and dark brown colours.

wood1.jpg

Step 2... sustaining edges of wood layers with B pencil and applying wood grain using lighter crayon.

wood2.jpg

Step 3... applying transparent colours that decreased the contrast between wood layers and made the prop a little bit darker.

wood3.jpg

wood4.jpg

Last edited:
Some very good points in that w.i.p., if you don't mind, I will ask for help from you if I need some translation from Polish...
Many thanks
Alberto

Hello,
I did some progress, here the pictures:

Painted fin and tailplane

DSCN1234.JPG
DSCN1237.JPG

painted propeller. This is my first attempt, may be I will try again with a different layout.

DSCN1236.JPG

And finally the landing gear, assembled but only dry fitted (the same for engine and propeller)
Also painted with mauve colour the underside of lower wing.

DSCN1233.JPG

More will follow soon (hopefully)
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back