A step back in history: Albatros DVa from Wingnut Wings models

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks great Alberto. If I may though, I believe that the wood grain on the prop would not have striped from one end of the prop to the other but rather returned back toward the hub like the demonstration photos posted by Wojtek. This was due to the laminations being parallel to the propeller arc rather than perpendicular to it. The colours are great though. Four your interest, I post a picture of a model I saw at a local show last summer where the modeler actaully made his own propellers out of real wood!

WWI 07.jpg

Looks great Alberto. If I may though, I believe that the wood grain on the prop would not have striped from one end of the prop to the other but rather returned back toward the hub like the demonstration photos posted by Wojtek. This was due to the laminations being parallel to the propeller arc rather than perpendicular to it. The colours are great though. Four your interest, I post a picture of a model I saw at a local show last summer where the modeler actaully made his own propellers out of real wood!

View attachment 284567

I agree about the propeller.
I facts I will probably do an other one (WNW kit included four of them)
I also did a bit of research and I found a nice website plenty of pictures of the real stuff, see here if you wish:

Bahnson Collection - Gallery of WW1 Wooden Propellers

This is one example:

Heinef propeller.jpg

One question: I will have to coat fuselage with a clear varnish, which one will you suggest considering that most has been coloured with oils? Will the Alclad 2 Klear Cote Gloss will be good in your opinion?
Many thanks
Alberto

Alberto, I've just started using the relatively new 'Humbrol Clear', a gloss acrylic varnish very like Johnson's 'Future'/'Klear' in appearance, being very thin and crystal clear, but it's a 'proper' varnish, as opposed to a wax polish.
So far, it seems to be fine on those delicate surfaces I've experimented on, so could be worthwhile trying it out on a spare surface.
It can also be altered from full gloss, varying down to full matt, by the addition of Tamiya Flat Base, or a similar product, as required. Humbrol are due to release a matt and a satin version soon, too,

Alberto, I've just started using the relatively new 'Humbrol Clear', a gloss acrylic varnish very like Johnson's 'Future'/'Klear' in appearance, being very thin and crystal clear, but it's a 'proper' varnish, as opposed to a wax polish.
So far, it seems to be fine on those delicate surfaces I've experimented on, so could be worthwhile trying it out on a spare surface.
It can also be altered from full gloss, varying down to full matt, by the addition of Tamiya Flat Base, or a similar product, as required. Humbrol are due to release a matt and a satin version soon, too,

Many thanks Terry for your answer, I got the Humbrol Clear as well, my only concern is how will it react with oil paints, so firstly I will do some tests and see what happens.
Cheers
Alberto

Should be, given the oils have set. I use acrylic varnish on my paintings (oils and enamels on canvas) without any problems, which is a 'standard practice' with most artists.

Hello,
first the result of my tests.
Yesterday I painted a spare wing in the same manner as I painted my Albatros fuselage; today I heavily sprayed with Humbrol Clear Gloss Varnish and everything went well:

DSCN1241.JPG
DSCN1242.JPG

So tomorrow or Saturday I will do the same on my model but not heavily.
Clear will go also on wings that today I sprayed with Albatros Pale Blue (Misterkit GC03)

DSCN1239.JPG
DSCN1240.JPG

I also got from the spare box the other three propellers supplied by WNW, I primed and painted Desert Yellow. No pictures available but there isn't too much to show. In the mean time I'm working to develop a mask to help me reproduce the previously presented propeller.
Cheers
Alberto

I've got the feeling that the Pale Blue I used is too pale for the lozenge decals I'm going to use, may be a need to repaint with a darker colour, some tests possibly tomorrow.
Alberto

Yesterday I spent almost all the afternoon to develop a suitable mask to be used for the propeller, this is the outcome:

20150215_184736.jpg

And these are pictures of the mask applied to the propeller

20150215_184701.jpg
20150215_184713.jpg

Today I hope to be able to find the time to paint the darker wood colour.
Alberto

Looks like you don't need to do anymore. Excellent.

I still have to do the final touch, because what can be seen in the pictures is the masking tape applied to the propeller to cover areas that will remain in the clear wood colour. Some darker oil colour will go over and, when dry, I will peel-off the masking tape.
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back