A step back in history: Albatros DVa from Wingnut Wings models

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I started filling and polishing the fuselage prior to prime it but I have no pictures to show so far.

Instead, today I received these:

lower lozenge.jpg
upper lozenge.jpg

a bit frightening for me :shock::shock::shock:
I hope I will be able to use them correctly.

Alberto

After some time I also did something on this model.

After priming I started applying HGW nails from their set.
I found this job easier then I expected, will see what will be the final result but those nails can be seen in the following pictures

DSCN1194.JPG
DSCN1196.JPG

This job should be complete by tomorrow then I will be able to paint.

Because I thing that it will not be possible to highlight those nail on a natural wood finish I will have to choose this livery:

Albatros_DVa_Hippel.jpg

Hope you like the above.

Alberto

I missed this somehow - beautiful work Alberto. It's got me wanting to do a large-scale WW1 aircraft, though heaven knows when I'd get around to doing one !
But perhaps a SE5 or Albatross someday ...........

I have this kit in the stash also Al.The cables inside look like real stranded wire what did you use?I can't wait to see her in her colors:thumbright:

I have this kit in the stash also Al.The cables inside look like real stranded wire what did you use?I can't wait to see her in her colors:thumbright:

Hi Javlin, waht I used is called fishing fly line and it comes in small sprockets like these:
fishing fly wire.Jpg

Unfortunately the one I used is a bit too hairy and I'm searching for a better one for future needs.
Alberto

Hi Javlin, waht I used is called fishing fly line and it comes in small sprockets like these:

Unfortunately the one I used is a bit too hairy and I'm searching for a better one for future needs.
Alberto

Iam going to have to check out a local outdoors store and see if it's available.I bet it's not to hairy to the naked eye only to the camera and I really did not notice so much.

Do you remember this picture?

DSCN1194.JPG

With all those nice dots obtained with HGW Nailing Set?

As I intended to do that plane with grey fuselage and green tail, I sprayed on some Gunze H.305 Grey, this is the result:

DSCN1204.JPG
DSCN1202.JPG

Do you still see all those nice dots? I don't :oops::oops:

Only zooming a lot some of them are still visible

DSCN1205.JPG

may be the paint is a bit too tick ...

Next time, if I will ever use those HGW decals I will not follow any more the instruction that say to apply them on a smoot primed only surface, but I will first pain the desired colour, cover with future and then apply decals.
I learned something at my expenses.
Alberto

Shame about losing all that nice detail Alberto. Perhaps if the 'dots' were made after the primer was applied, then the final finishing coat(s) might not hide them ?
Regarding the 'hairy' thread, a similar product is available as waxed thread, probably through a good habadashery, or perhaps from a maritime supply company or chandler. Alternatively, lengths of the thread can be dipped in liquid wax, then pulled between finger and thumb, removing the excess wax, but leaving the fibres impregnated, reducing the 'hairy' appearance. Depending on the material used to make the thread, a coat of clear varnish can also work.

Many thanks Terry for your comment.
In facts supplier's instructions are very clear, because I think it could be helpful for someone, I copy them here following:

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Clean model surface by wet cloth. Optional undercoat is Mr. Surfacer 1000 or Base White.
2. Cut each design out of decal sheet and dip them in warm water (30 - 40°C) for 10 - 15 seconds.
3. Check with finger tip if design loose on base paper. If so place it in proper position on model and slide of base paper leaving design on model.
4. Apply Mr. Mark Softer for undercoat. Move design to exact position with wet finger tip and push out excess of Mr. Mark Softer, water and air bubbles which are under the decal - use soft cotton cloth.
5. Let the decal dry for cca 2 hours.
6. Unstick the foil carefully and wash marks caused by transfer glue.
END OF INSTRUCTION

So, if ever I will use them again, I will first paint fuselage colour and then I will apply those decals.
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back