Academy 1/72 B-17E "Old 666" 43rd Bomb Group 1943

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like the seats Dirk. I have always wanted to build just the interior of the nose and cockpit of a bomber in a large scale so people could see the work that is hidden most of the time.

DBII

There are a couple at the local store. A collector passed away and his wife is selling the collection a little at a time. I almost bought the large scale P-26. I think she is asking $20 for the B-17.

DBII

There are a couple at the local store. A collector passed away and his wife is selling the collection a little at a time. I almost bought the large scale P-26. I think she is asking $20 for the B-17.

DBII

I would go for it considering its less then my 1/72 Academy kits cost and is larger and of course will have much more interior detail..

BTW, there's a resin figure kit of B-17 crew figures (all seated except for a few gunners) that I believe was made specifically for this kit. It's from Legend (of South Korea). I've been using them in my Hasegawa B-26 Marauder. I found it on Squadronshop.com

I'll scan and post the interior (and detail ) shots later tonight Dirk. There are a number of detail differences compared to later models.
The Revell (Monogram) 1/48th scale B17 (both versions, one having a clear fuselage half) is a nice kit. Although the internal detail is a bit basic, it's a fairly simple task to add more detail as required. Need a lot of room though, as it's got a two feet wingspan!!

I'll scan and post the interior (and detail ) shots later tonight Dirk. There are a number of detail differences compared to later models.
The Revell (Monogram) 1/48th scale B17 (both versions, one having a clear fuselage half) is a nice kit. Although the internal detail is a bit basic, it's a fairly simple task to add more detail as required. Need a lot of room though, as it's got a two feet wingspan!!

That might be a project for sometime in the future. The figures would add additional depth to the model. I like it a lot.8)

Here's the pics of the B17E interior as promised Dirk. All from original Boeing images.
PIC 1 Cockpit. Note the early, wooden control yokes, and other detail differences from later models.
PIC 2. The radio room, looking forward.
PIC 3. Radio room looking aft. Note the padded lining. Far as I know, this was a light olive green- grey colour.
PIC 4. Nose compartment, looking forward from Nav station. Note the high-backed armoured seat for the Bombardier, and the same padded lining.
PIC 5. Nose compartment, looking aft. Note the double doors to the hatch leading to the under-floor area beneath the cockpit, where the forward entrance hatch was located. These doors were replaced with curtains on later models. Note the back-rest has been removed from the Nav's seat for clarity.
PIC 6. The waist gun positions. Note the early pintle mounts for the guns, and the ammunition cannister, with direct feed to the guns. Note also the sliding hatch covers.

Attachments

• B17 Iinterior.jpg
    B17 Iinterior.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 199
  • B17 Iinterior 001.jpg
    B17 Iinterior 001.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 231
  • B17 Iinterior 002.jpg
    B17 Iinterior 002.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 218
  • B17 Iinterior 003.jpg
    B17 Iinterior 003.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 210
  • B17 Iinterior 004.jpg
    B17 Iinterior 004.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 210
  • B17 Iinterior 005.jpg
    B17 Iinterior 005.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 200
It always seemed to me that if you're going to the length of really detailing the interior, that work should be seen. That's what's so interesting to me about the Monogram kit with the clear fuselage half. On the old boxtops they used to show cut-away versions of the model showing the interior.

Ah, the good old days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back