Academy 1/72 B-17E "Old 666" 43rd Bomb Group 1943

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok time for the next steps. Prepping for primer

I couldn't find any masks for an E model so I got the G kit. Its not the same fit but its close and it keeps me from having to re-invent the wheel if I may.
IMG_2495.jpg

Than Murphy showed up again. Did I ever tell you about Murphy? He had these laws...

The red arrows point out where there were once windows but now are only holes in my fuselage. Augh

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

Tail gunner in place

IMG_2516.jpg

Bomb doors in place

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

Primer applied

IMG_2517.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

Till next time, thanks for looking ;)

I have most of them, but I'm thinking I'll have to Kristal Klear them all as its going to be next to imposable to reach some of them

Last nights advancements included the masking of old 666 for what will undoubtedly be several passes with the airbrush.
IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

Ready for some paint
IMG_2526.jpg

Thanks to those following. Till next time

Nice work. If you can't rescue some windows, then fitting new ones cut from thin clear sheet, or packaging, will work better than the KK. The latter is OK, but struggles with the approximate size of those openings, and never looks really smooth.

Tonight I applied the second round of Olive Green with a lighter tint to reflect fading. I mixed a little bit of RLM79 to the mix

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

Thankss for looking

Perhaps a silly question with this one seemingly already being underway for a while...how do these Academy series of B-17 kits hold up compared to the new Revell 1/72 B-17? I have the opportunity to get me a second-hand Academy...however for a few euro's more I have the new Revell kit.

The one thing I do like about the Academy series is they also have some of the earlier types B-17 (I think)

I have 3 of the Academy B-17's (E)(F)(G) and I like them a lot. Plenty of detail and pretty easy to build and like you said they also have some of the earlier versions of the B-17. I have one of the new Revell B-17's but haven't opened the box yet. After reading the reviews I like to think of it as the Holly Grail of B-17 kits but again I haven't opened the box yet.

What are you using to cut the flaps on the cowling Dirk?

That would seem to be really hard to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back