Academy 1/72 B-17E "Old 666" 43rd Bomb Group 1943

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great stuff Dirk. Don't forget to finish the history of this unique bird. Looking forward to the next installment.

Just a quick note Dirk. On the B17E and early B17F, the radio room gun mount was on a (rather cumbersome) circular mount - basically a metal tube ring, with a semi- rigid feed chute and ammo box fixed on the starboard wall, unlike the mount in your posted pics. However, with two guns mounted, it's more than likely that a 'custom made' mount was fabricated.

Just a quick note Dirk. On the B17E and early B17F, the radio room gun mount was on a (rather cumbersome) circular mount - basically a metal tube ring, with a semi- rigid feed chute and ammo box fixed on the starboard wall, unlike the mount in your posted pics. However, with two guns mounted, it's more than likely that a 'custom made' mount was fabricated.

I've seen that setup someplace but have been unable to find it but in this case the mount was a custom field job done completely outside the Boeing realm so I'm comfortable making it like in the photos posted. Do you have any photos of that mount?

Yep, I should have somewhere. But as you say, it's unlikely to have been used for a twin-gun installation. I'll post the pics when I find them, very soon.

Here you go Dirk, pics as promised.

Attachments

• Can Jan 498.jpg
    Can Jan 498.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Can Jan 499.jpg
    Can Jan 499.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 99
Damn, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I went to install the landing light lenses and lo-wen behold they are missing. I'm thinking this isn't something I can fix with Micro kristal Klear:kamahlitude2:

I have only just discovered this thread and after reading through it and Dirk I take my hat off to you Sir, such perseverance. Keep up the good work.

Also love the story of the real aircraft.

I've been initiated with real world stuff so the modeling has been pushed to the side for a bit. Here is a little more work I got done on Old 666

A little bit of landing gear repair is in order. :cry:

IMG_4188.jpg

Superchargers get their first bit of rust

IMG_4186.jpg

Toned down with some steel

IMG_4189.jpg

Superchargers in place. I think I need to tone them down a little bit more.

IMG_4190.jpg

Resin wheels to spruce it up a bit

IMG_4192.jpg

Resin wheel vs kit wheel

IMG_4194.jpg

Our little girl is growing up. This is here for the first time on all threes (Wheels that is :mrgreen: ) There is still a lot of touch ups and fiddly work to be done.

IMG_4195.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Well its been a long time since I worked on "Old 666" and thanks to Alex today was the day I found my grove. I was able to sit at my bench today at around 10:00am as opposed to 10:00pm which has been the norm these days. Seeing the work Alex has done in his B-17 "Hells Angels" was just the spark I needed.

Here's what I accomplished:

Starting with some styrene and Terry's photos from post 32, photo 6 I set to work.

IMG_2414.jpg

I started by using some green Putty to fill in the optional staggered waste gunners position and started to lay out some frame work using .030 square stock styrene.

IMG_2408.jpg

Next I used .080 H-Column to make the tracks for the waste gunners window.

IMG_2410.jpg

More frame work.

IMG_2412.jpg

Now before I could complete the frame work i had to install the gunners window but I had to paint it first. Using some fine grit sand paper i sanded the area around the window I wanted to paint olive green. This allowed the paint to stick to the clear plastic.

IMG_2411.jpg

Once the frame work was completed I added some interior green, and dry brushed on some aluminum to add some wear. The window opens and closes. 8)

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

Next I turned to the nose of the aircraft.

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

Well that's it for now. Thanks for taking the time to look at my work.

Great build! Love the story behind the real bird. I hope dogfights portrayed it correctly...

I know it's too late in the game, but next time might I recommend skipping the styrene to make the ribs and stringers and use a product manufactured by CHARTPAK called either zip-a-line or form-a-line. Basically it's rolls of tape cut into various tiny widths. It's used by graphic artists to make lines on...well...graphs and stuff. I use white, which I would imagine would also limit the amount of drybrushing needed to bring out it's detail when contrasted to the darker model styrene, but I understand it comes in many colors. One of the abvantages is that it's tape. If you put it in the wrong place just lift and re-apply...even over prepainted surfaces! After you have it just where you want it, just over paint it and it's sealed in place. And you get no liquid glue marks adjacent to each rib and stringer. Cuts easy also. Try it out next time and thank me later!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back