Academy 1/72 B-17E "Old 666" 43rd Bomb Group 1943

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just a little bit. If you would get the higher temperature the styrene could melt. :lol:

But seriously now.... it's really a very nice job. I know about these windows but it doesn't diminish my mark.

Last night I unmasked Old 666 and finished up the work on the cowling flaps. I then installed the engines and dry fitted the props.

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

Feels like I'm starting to get a cold. Hopefully I'll get some more work of this one tomorrow

It's been some time since I worked on this project but i'm on a mission to clear up some of the unfinished kits I have laying around. First things first. All those pesky nose windows I put in before I joined the fuselage all fell out. Most of the windows were lost but those that weren't were damn near impossible to put back with the fuselage assembled. To fix this I broke out the Micro Krystal Klear and made my own windows.

IMG_4125.jpg

To do this all you need to do is dip a tooth pick into the solution and then swirl it around the window opening until you have a complete film over the opening.

IMG_4124.jpg

Now to the guns. :twisted: One of the extra guns Steve Zemer added to his aircraft was one right outside his window on the nose. Now there are no photos that I know of to show how this was placed so I had to take some creative licensing and do what I think made sense. After the windscreen was in place the only location that made sense was in the top window just infront of the windscreen. All I did was add some Krystal Klear to the opening and stuck a single .50 cal machine gun.

IMG_4121.jpg

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

Time to get back to work. I will post more later on.

Next I moved on to the office of bombardier Joseph Sarnoski. The B-17E came with 3 guns fitted in the glass nose. Sarnoski swapped out the three .30 cal's and replaced them with .50's. He also added an additional .50 cal machine gun to the nose.

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

Top turret in place

IMG_4130.jpg

Tail gun placement

IMG_4137.jpg

Last night I did a little more work on Old 666 continuing to mount all the machine guns. So far we installed the following:

2 .50's in the tail
2 .50's in the ball turret. These fell out during the masking for the paint and will have to be reinstalled :(
4 .50's in the nose
1 .50 in front of pilots windscreen
1 .50 mounted in the floor behind the waist gunner

Next I moved onto the waist gunners position.

Zeamer's crew put guns where they didn't even need guns, leaving loose machine guns on the catwalk so that if a gun jammed at a critical moment they could dump it and quickly replace it with a spare. Sergeant George Kendrick even mounted a gun behind the ball turret near the waist. "I don't know who would have handled that except the side gunner" Jay recalls. "He wanted all the guns he could get! He wouldn't let another gunner back there with him. He said, 'These are my guns. I'm going to shoot them all. I don't want to be bumping asses with another guy back here!' This was George Kendrick, the screwball of the crew."

Using the twin guns for the top and ball turret from the Green Hornet kit I went to work

IMG_4150.jpg

IMG_4151.jpg

Using some of my Evergreen stock I made mounts for the guns.

IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4154.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

Next I moved over to the tail gunners position. I wanted to put the gun site in place

IMG_4156.jpg

With a pin vice and a very very tiny bit I set to work.

IMG_4158.jpg

I must say I'm happy with the results :D

IMG_4159.jpg

Tonight I hope to figure out how to mount the radio gunners twin .50s

Thanks for looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back