Acoustic Guitar Buildalong.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm not really sure Marcel. Some are made of small pieces of wood, but I think these are made of colored cellulose fiber? It is called a Herringbone pattern, just black and white checks glued up in a decorative pattern. Same material will be used for the Purfling that surrounds the soundboard and seals the endgrains of the top so it is not damaged if bumped.

Decided to get some work done on the neck while I am waiting on getting clamps sawn up so I can continue with the Body of the Guitar.
Here are the main componants to the Neck as they came from the factory. Neck is roughly shaped and has the Trussrod groove routered. Fretboard as grooves for the frets cut already, but it needs to be shaped. Also plan on Dying the board black as I do not care for the brown streaks that run through the Ebony.

Attachments

• Neck Components.jpg
    Neck Components.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 734
Next glued and clamped on the Headstock overlay. This is a dark piece of Indian Rosewood. Later I will inlay with some Mother of Pearl once I decide on a design, any ideas? Needs to be something simple as I've never done any inlay work before and do not want to get over my head on the first try. Maybe just my initials?

Attachments

• Overlay Clamped.jpg
    Overlay Clamped.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 710
  • Overlay Closeup.jpg
    Overlay Closeup.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 760
Got up for work a little early this morning, if you know me that is a major task for me as I am not a morning person. Pulled off the clamps and gluing cauls and trimmed the Headstock overlay to the rest of the neck.
Nothing too difficult so far in the build, mostly just measuring, double, then triple checking measurements, aligning things and glueing, and then some sanding.
Here's the Overlay trimmed up and a closeup of the Trussrod (for adjusting neck tension).
Next I will be working on the fretboard and hopefully get some clamps together for the soundboard and back glueup.

Attachments

• Overlay Before Trim.jpg
    Overlay Before Trim.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 737
  • Overlay Trimmed Closeup.jpg
    Overlay Trimmed Closeup.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 698
  • Trussrod.jpg
    Trussrod.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 684
Thanks, like I said nothing major so far as much of the major shaping and machining was already done by the factory. When it comes time to do some routing and neck installation things may get a bit trickier.
Need to order some tools before I can start fretting and inlaying the neck.

Yes it is Marcel. I need to pick up a heavy duty fret cutter to cut that stuff cleanly. It's pretty tough stuff. Was hoping to do the fret work this weekend, but I need to cut that fretboard to the proper dimensions and stain it so it's nice and black first.

Yes it is Marcel. I need to pick up a heavy duty fret cutter to cut that stuff cleanly. It's pretty tough stuff. Was hoping to do the fret work this weekend, but I need to cut that fretboard to the proper dimensions and stain it so it's nice and black first.

I thought so. That'll be a tough job and very precise. Good luck. Are they (frets) jumbo's or did you choose smaller frets?

No choice was given as to fret size. Definately no Jumbo size frets, looks to be maybe medium.
Watched a video of frets being hammering into place and it does not look to be that difficult, but looks can be deceiving when it's a professional doing the job. I'm more concerned with the beveling and leveling of the frets that anything.
Routing the body for the trim is what concerns me the most though, complex curves and trying to make a 90 cut to the body. Mess up too badly and you may ruin the looks of an otherwise great box.

Very little progress on the Guitar over the last week and a half. With Christmas shopping and not feeling well have not done too much.
On a bad note, I profiled the fingerboard this past weekend and due to my own error have it narrowed down a little to shallow. Am debating on making a skinnied neck/fingerboard or ordering a new fingerboard and doing it right this time. It may be useable for a second guitar so I may go the new board route.
Lesson learned is when you decide to do something differing from the plans, think it out completely before doing it!!!

Yeah, it does suck, new Ebony Fretboard will run me almost $40. The one I messed up will probably work, but will have tool marks from the block plane I used to bring it down to size. Not enough overhang left to sand them out and not have to make the neck norrower as well.
I hope to build an Archtop in a year or two and it will probably have a slightly narrower neck so I should be able to salvage this one for that project

I appologize, nothing done for almost a month now. Between Christmas, illnesses, and the Truck breaking down twice this month and costing a small fortune to fix I have not gotten much done on the guitar.
Am finishing up several Cam Clamps I need for the next steps this week and hope to get some work done on bracing the top later this week and weekend so hope to have some progress pics next week some time.

OK, It's been a while. Got a few Cam Clamps made up so I was able to glue up some of the top bracing. Going to take me the better part of the week to glue all the bracing on with the amount of clamps I have.
First picture shows the first of two X-Braces glued into place. Second picture shows the second one glued and clamped into place. Have to let glue dry for 24 hours before I un-clamp so can only do a brace or two at a time.

Attachments

• First X-Brace.jpg
    First X-Brace.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 512
  • Second X-Brace Clamped.jpg
    Second X-Brace Clamped.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 515

Users who are viewing this thread

Back