Acoustic Guitar Buildalong.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ah that's too bad. A shame to let it gather dust. Hope you'll be able to finish it.

Yeah. I let myself get intimidated by the process of fitting the neck joint. I think I may have messsed up the joint on the body of the guitar and it may not fit as tight as it needs to. If it is, I hope it can be shimmed up, may have to speak with someone that has built several guitars.

Well, I blew the dust off all the parts to this guitar build finally and decided it's time to get on with it already. If things go as planned I hope to start again this weekend (if I am not still recovering from my Thanksgiving meal).
I have a few things I need to order from the Luthier supply store before doing any major work, but can do some prep work in the mean time.

Looking forward to seeing some progress on this. I have done some work with electrics, but can certainly see the intimidation factor in acoustics. There is a lot of intricate work inside them and sometimes the smallest part can make a big difference in tone.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have not already abandoned the project since I last posted, just doing a little more research, ordering some more parts and tools. Have to find someone with a band saw, table saw, and thickness sander for my next step so it be a few more days until I post some progress. Got some sanding to do in then mean time. I can post some pictures of saw dust if you like.

Okay back to work. Here are some pictures of where the body stands thus far.

1.JPG
1A.JPG

There are some imperfection and flaws, but this is my first attempt at this so I'll live with it.

This picture shows the decorative of the body. I have not decided how I'm going to bend them yet. Got a couple ideas, but Herringbone Purflings and the Curly Maple bindings used to decorate and protect the top and bottoms edges of the guitar.
The kit came with black plastic bindings, which would have been much easier to install as you do not have to bend them. But where's the fun in that?
The black and white checked thingies are the purflings that go around the top of the body, and the 4 strips of wood are the Curly Maple bindings that go around the top and bottom edges that's still a week or so away.

Purfling  Bindings.JPG

Okay, the next step it to prep the top, bottom, and sides for routing channels for the Purflings and bindings to sit in. To start this process you need to make sure that the sides, top, and bottom are relatively free from dip and raises in the wood. Going to used a heavy square and check to high and low spots in the wood. This must be fairly level so the bindings and purlfings sit square in the routed channels otherwise things will not look right.
Last picture shows my quick sanding stick made of a length of dowel with 150 grit sanding paper glued to it, this should help me sand everything a little easier.

Level 1.JPG
Level 2.JPG
Sanding Stick.JPG

first i ever saw this thread. looks like you are doing a nice job. the first one is a learning experience they say but a labor of love. a friend of mine bought property with 2 old trailers on it. inside were 16 guitars and a couple amps. none of the guitars are premo axes...and most are in some state of sad repair. he gave me an old ephiphone that someone had bent the neck forward and the back was sprung. along with that he handed me a late 60s/early 70s silvertone amp. i had a local tube guru tune it up and bought it from him. the guitar i stripped down and am in the process of putting it back together. i stripped the finish and am painting it up in a hippy peter max scheme. he then brought me 2 more guitars...a tokai that needs a neck rest and had a hole in the body. i fitted it with new nut and saddle, roto lock tuners (japanese knock offs ) and a 5 channel pick up and amp system. havent messed with the neck yet. the last guitar is a Lucinda nylon string youth model that was missing all the bone hardware and the neck was sprung. i reglued the neck and fitted a new bone and saddle...i worked the action down and it plays pretty decent. the bridge has some gap so i am going to re-inforce it then maybe give it to one of my grandchildren if they are mature enough to treat it well. so far i have 3 rescue guitars ( thats what i call them...lol ). i am enjoying messing with them and with the experience i am getting playing with these i may bit the bullet and build one like you are. i am having fun with these....keep going get her finished.

Well, I was going to start building a jig to help bend bindings this evening, but have such a pounding headache that I can't see straight and the use of power tools is out of the question.
Hope to have another update on Thursday or Friday.

are they wood bindings or nylon? if they are plastic composite/nylon i read you can use a heat gun on low or a hair dryer to help shape them....the stuff i bought from stewarts was flexible enough to conform with out heat...i did use a truck load of tape ( about every inch or so ) to hold them tight until the glue tried. if they are wood couldnt you use the guitar itself as a jig? soak them a little and then fix them to the outside curve of the body with big rubber bands ( like the kind they use for produce at the grocery store)? a little wax paper between the damp binding and the body...that should get you in the ball park fitwise.

are they wood bindings or nylon? if they are plastic composite/nylon i read you can use a heat gun on low or a hair dryer to help shape them....the stuff i bought from stewarts was flexible enough to conform with out heat...i did use a truck load of tape ( about every inch or so ) to hold them tight until the glue tried. if they are wood couldnt you use the guitar itself as a jig? soak them a little and then fix them to the outside curve of the body with big rubber bands ( like the kind they use for produce at the grocery store)? a little wax paper between the damp binding and the body...that should get you in the ball park fitwise.

They are wood bindings, though of using the guitar itself to help shape them, but didn't like the thought of using wet wood against the main body. I'll hopfully show the jig I am going to use tomorrow. I'm thought I'd make the jig so I could practice using the router jig you'll see in a few steps on something before taking it to the actual guitar.

Was hoping for an update over the weekend, but the jig for bending bindings project did not go as planned so did not get much done over the weekend. Dental appointment tonight and will head to Home Depot afterwards to puck up a saw and some more MDF. Hopefully have an update with actual work done mid-week.

No I haven't abandoned the project again. Been waiting for a new toy, I mean tool to arrive. Been debating on getting a little bench sized bandsaw or a nice jigsaw. Each have their merits, but I decided to go with a jigsaw at this time. Saves on space.
This ain't a gurly-man type jigsaw either. It's one powerful little saw. Just looking at the blades that came with it kinda scares me, hope I don't draw more blood.
I need to make a template cutting guide for it, which I am off to do right now. Will try to post pics tomorrow. Plus pics of another little tool I ordered yesterday.

P1000469 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back