Adolf Hitler running for election in India

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Adolf Hitler stumping for votes in Indian election - Yahoo! News

GAUHATI, India (AP) — Adolf Hitler is running for election in India. So is Frankenstein.

The tiny northeast Indian state of Meghalaya has a special fascination for interesting and sometimes controversial names, and the ballot for state elections Saturday is proof.

Among the 345 contestants running for the state assembly are Frankenstein Momin, Billykid Sangma, Field Marshal Mawphniang and Romeo Rani. Some, like Kenedy Marak, Kennedy Cornelius Khyriem and Jhim Carter Sangma, are clearly hoping for the electoral success of their namesake American presidents.

Then there is Hitler.

This 54-year-old father of three has won three elections to the state assembly with little controversy over being named after the Nazi dictator.

His father had worked with the British army, but apparently developed enough of a fascination with Great Britain's archenemy to name his son Adolf Hitler — though he also gave him the middle name Lu, Hitler said.

"I am aware at one point of time Adolf Hitler was the most hated person on Earth for the genocide of the Jews. But my father added 'Lu' in between, naming me Adolf Lu Hitler, and that's why I am different," Hitler told The Associated Press from the small village of Mansingre, 200 kilometers (125 miles) west of Gauhati, the capital of the nearby state of Assam.

Hitler said his name has not stopped him from traveling the world, including to the United States and Germany.

"I never had problems obtaining a visa but I was asked many times during immigration as to why I should have such a name. I told the immigration staff I possibly didn't have a role in my naming," he said.

India played little role in World War II, and many Indians view Hitler not as the personification of evil but as a figure of fascination. Hitler's book "Mein Kampf" is prominently displayed at many Indian bookstores. The owner of a menswear shop named his store "Hitler," then expressed puzzlement last year after Israel complained.

Musfika Haq, a teacher in Meghalaya's capital, Shillong, said such names are common in the state.

"Parents obviously get fascinated by names of well-known or great leaders, but must be unaware that some of them, like Hitler, had been highly controversial," he said.

India played a fairly significant role in WWII actually, fighting in both ETO and PTO and providing garrison forces throughout the Middle East.

The fascination with Hitler is more sinister than is suggested in the article. In 1943 much of bengall and surrounding states suffered a terrible famine,and this alienated a lot of Indians against the British. Many other Indians wanted independance from Britiain and saw Japan mostly, but also the germans, as a means of getting the British out. Many of the uneducated masses continued that belief after the war, and i gues from that this fascination with the weird and wonderful developed.

Its all pretty harmless now I guess, but India is a strange place....and a sleeping giant in my opinion.

Just think, Any nation that does not have a restriction on the birthplace of the candidate could have old Lu running for higher public office. Even Prime Minister!

Have I stepped over the line????

Different cultures, I suppose.
Less understandable is the family in New Jersey that named one child Adolph Hitler, and the next, Aryan nation.
They tried to sue a supermarket because the bakery department refused to decorate a cake to read "Happy Birthday Adolph Hitler"

Strange, but interesting!

One of my dad's jobs was dealing with clients over the phone, and some of the names he used to hear were classic... won't name them as they're actual living people, but one got chatty and mentioned she wanted to name her son Jesus christ and daughter Virgin Mary... The authorities didn't allow it for some strange reason (...), so the son ended up Joseph Christian and the daughter Virginia Marie.

My first choice for a son's name would be Hayden Ulysses. My wife looked at me funny and asked why that name? Easy....it shortens down to "Hey U" really well. Yeah. I got smacked for that one.

Second choice for a boy's name would be George Erwin. Cuz you just KNOW a kid's gonna be just fine when named after Patton and Rommel.

When my first daughter was born I was on a Tolkien jag. When she complained about her name, (at 14, you know how they get), I told her it could have been worse, Could have been Arwen Evenstar, or Smeagol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back