Aircraft Drawings other than WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks. No, this isn't my profession. I wish it was but I'd starve doing this. I've sold very few prints and even less originals. I'll keep plugging away though. The main thing is that I enjoy it.

Sizes vary but usually fall somewhere inbetween 16 - 18 inches wide by 10 - 15 inches high.

One word: Wow

Your sketches remind me of an art display that used to hang in the Minneapolis airport for years. They were of modern military aircraft, done in pencil. Right between the C concourse and the security checkpoint before the mall area. They were impressive. And yours are equallythat caliber or better. Fantastic.

Thanks Matt. I'm not going to lie. I truly would like to get somewhere with my art. Honestly though, it's like I have the plague when it comes to trying to market this stuff. I just keep reminding myself that if it's meant to happen it will. In the mean time. Just be happy that I can draw and enjoy it.

Hi Clave! Thanks. I drew that one about the time Don started CAT2. At the time there was about 3 members on the forum. It's buried waaay back in the "Completed Thread."

If you are doing a whole series on helicopters, how about an AH-64D Apache Longbow? Don't care about what paint-job or setting it is in, just as long as it is an Apache Longbow. My favourite helicopter. I just want a virtual copy and if you want, you can put copyright or whatever you want to do at the bottom of the picture. I don't mind. AH-64A just doesn't have the teeth or aggression of an AH-64D Apache Longbow...

FLYBOYJ,
I drew the Skyraider last winter. I used a reference photo from airliners.net. I e-mailed the photographer first for permission as a precaution. Depending upon who you talk to a person can get goofed up with copyright infringement so I ALWAYS check with the photographer first when I use a photo for references. I sent him (the photographer) a full sized scan of the image so he could make a print for himself too. Kind of a gesture of good faith.

Matt,
I can have prints made of just about everything I've drawn. I just don't sell enough to keep many on hand. I don't have enough of a "following" to warrant having many prints of everything readily available. This isn't my full time gig although I'd like it to be. I did sell a print of the Tornado to a gentleman in Scotland just last week. That was kinda cool!

HealzDevo,
Ah yes the Longbow. Ya' know...once I get these last few drawings completed I'm going to have to pursue the helo angle more aggresively. I've got a Mosquito I need to get lined out once the Fury is complete. Then I can start researching the helo's.

I appreciate the feedback from you all. It fuels the fire to know that folks like what they're seeing. :thumbleft:

I can give you some line drawings as well as other stuff as a zip. I can't remember where I got the pictures though so that is out for giving to you. But I remember that if you type it in on a search you can find some interesting colour schemes such as an Apache Longbow in a winter-colour camoflague...

Sounds good. Thanks for the heads up on that. Great thing about the internet...it sure is cheaper than going out and buying a book on every aircraft I want to draw. Feel free to shoot me a home e-mail if you come up with anything of interest to the subject.

Outstanding stuff, Lyle! I'm partial to the F-111 cockpit shot as I was stationed at Lakenheath and recognized the patch right away! You are welcome to sketch any of the photos on my website. I would love to see what you can do with them. I had another artist, Nigel Rittey, do a pencil drawing from one of my Stearman photos and it looked great.

Keep up the good work, I think it is first rate. :thumbleft:

evanglider,
Thanks for taking a look at my work. Yes, I had a buddy stationed at LN when they flew they "ElDorado Canyon" raid. Many years later, after I'd become a boom operator, I found out our Ops Grp commander was one of the aircrew members on the raid. Small world to say the least. I didn't even know it until a friend pointed the drawing out to him.

Yes, when I first joined the forum I stopped by your web site. You have some super detailed photos. Great clarity and color! I'll definitely be referencing them for future drawings since you've given permission. As my custom, I always send a full sized scan of the drawing to the photographer when I reference their work. All you have to do is burn the image to cd. Take that cd to a printing business and they can make pretty nice prints using a digital printer. I normally have my prints made on 88lb paper and 11x17 size.

Thanks for the offer and permissions.:D

I was at Lakenheath for El Dorado Canyon also. I was on the communication support team. I saw the Liberty patch and knew right away. Very cool that you spent time as a gas passer. ;)

I would be honored to have one (or more) of my photos end up immortalized in art. It will be cool to print out the artwork with a small 4x6 print in the corner of the frame, or in a separate one nearby.

I have put your site in my links section under aviation art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back