Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Krabat. They're from "Air Classics" from the mid-70s.

That's what I was hoping it would look like Patoruzu. ...but then along comes Wayne... ...

...and it is. The Hornet powered Hawker Persian Fury...

Hey, you are flying too high gentlemen...can we expect more down-to-earth questions?
carson1934

Looks like the remains of a Handley Page Hampden

Pic taken in 1986 (ish) aircraft restored and put on display in Canada until

Snow breaks historic aircraft
Langley Advance
Published: Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Dear Editor,

Despite the best efforts of volunteers, the recent extreme weather has caused considerable damage to some exhibits at the Canadian Museum of Flight at Langley Regional Airport.

Hardest hit is the museums' Handley Page Hampden, a Second World War bomber that was raised from the ocean depths off Vancouver Island in 1985.

Ongoing efforts to clear the rapidly accumulating snow from the wings of the aircraft were overwhelmed during the night of Dec. 26, when snow caused a failure of the left wing's internal structure. The wing separated from the fuselage and collapsed onto an adjacent display case containing one of the aircraft's original engines.

The wing itself suffered considerable damage at both the root and tip. Further damage is visible on the tail of the aircraft, although a full investigation of this area has yet to be completed.

The museum's Hampden is the sole survivor of its type on display anywhere in the world, although another example was recovered recently from a crash site in Russia, and is under restoration in Britain.

The twin-engined Hampden was part of the Royal Air Force's front line equipment at the start of the Second World War, but was soon rendered obsolete and retired from active operations against Nazi Germany in the summer of 1943.

One hundred sixty Hampdens were built in Canada during the Second World War, and many were used on the West Coast to train crews in the difficult mission of attacking enemy shipping with torpedoes. The museum's aircraft was lost on just such an exercise on Nov. 15, 1942, when it crashed into the ocean moments after dropping a practice torpedo.

Following its recovery, the aircraft was the subject of a long and challenging restoration to static display condition, completed in 1998.

It is anticipated that a lengthy program of repair will be required to put the airplane back into display condition, and the museum is putting out a plea for the public's assistance in providing both financial and practical support to help rebuild this important piece of Canadian history.

You're right, a Hampden. To be honest, I was mostly mocking carson for his "down-to-earth" remark.

But I got another one:

Krabat

That looks like one of the B-17's that was turned into a drone, packed with explosives and modified like that so that the pilot could easily bail out.

I can't remember the name of the program without Googling, and wasn't there someone famous lost in one that blew up prematurely?

Modified Wellington??? Is that the 'aerodynamic' remote control gun turret project or is this unrelated?

Strange as it may seem I cannot locate name of the attached US cargo/passenger plane. Could someone help me out? Thanks
carson1934

Attachments

• planes_041[1].jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 93
Thats 42-65402
Douglas C-74 Globemaster I
65402 (c/n 13913) scrapped at Davis Monthan AFB in 1965

From wikipedia:

I don't mean to be a nuisance and I know that the attached pic represents the SNCASO ONERA Delta VX01.
But is there somebody who could direct me to a website where I could find factual information about it?
Thanks in advance for your help
carson1934

Attachments

• planes_056[1].jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 90

Users who are viewing this thread