Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It flew? Damn, I thought I knew all the big 'uns

Can you move that white square out of the way, its spoiling the picture

G'day mate!

Is it Italian??? Piaggio maybe??

Italian, yes. Piaggio, no. Gotta be honest, until today I never knew this plane existed and having prided myself on knowing just about every aircraft that served during WW2 I was very much surprised. You being an airliner buff I'll tell you that's how this bomber started off. According to the article I got this from NO photos exist but that was written 33 years ago, so who knows? Happy googling, I'm off to bed!

Gotta be honest, until today I never knew this plane existed and having prided myself on knowing just about every aircraft that served during WW2 I was very much surprised.
Aha, no reason to be surprised, my friend, because I'm utterly sure that was a bare "paper plane"
I don't think Italy was allowed to built bombers after WWII (we lost the war, after all), even if at a prototype stage.
So that might be some late war project that never went beyond the paper stage...

Anyway I agree with Waynos, that looks coming from Savoia-Marchetti's, or Caproni's ateliers

I'll dig into my books for further info and if I find something I'll post here.

Cheers

In that case I am certain it is a Savoia Marchetti, development of the SM.95?

Spot on Wayne. The SIAI- Marchetti SM 95B.

I'll dig into my books for further info and if I find something I'll post here.

Looking forward to what you find Marcogrifo, appreciate any effort! As I stated above, the article mentions that it was built and flown in 1945. It retained the wings, engines and tail assembly of the SM 95 transport version but married to a new, deeper fuselage. Armament was four 12.7-mm Breda SAFAT machine guns.

"Unfortunately, no photographs of this prototype are available."

Looking forward to what you find Marcogrifo, appreciate any effort! As I stated above, the article mentions that it was built and flown in 1945.
And I must apologize, it seems like sometimes fingers are faster than brain!
Yes a SM.95B prototype did his mayden flight in 1945
Anyway, I'm not completely wrong, because the develop (or better, the completion) of that "bomber" was a dispensation from peace treaty agreements
An excerpt from an article about SM.95 I've found on an issue of "Aerofan" magazine:

It almost looks more like a 4 engined SM.82 then the SM.95
Yes, you're right, that is precisely the look (and the essence) of that project
The profile shown in Graeme's post seems, I think, a speculation about the look the SM.95B should have had.
But these below are "the original drawings" found by the Aerofan's staff

Quite a merge between SM.82 fuselage and SM.95 wings, isn't it?

That's a great find, the Piaggio P.108 was the only 4 engined Italian bomber I was aware of.
And me too
Finally, the only two known photos of SM.95B

Cheers

Good post Marcigrifo! Many thanks for that. Love the low flypast photo. So they do exist! lol. How about starting a thread devoted to rare and exotic Italian warbirds?!

Really brilliant research work!!!
Thank you to all of you involved!!
Thanks for your kind words but I did nothing more than spending some time looking through magazines...

Graeme said:
Good post Marcigrifo! Many thanks for that. Love the low flypast photo. So they do exist! lol. How about starting a thread devoted to rare and exotic Italian warbirds?!
Your welcome
Unfortunately those images are of a very poor quality
The idea of a thread about rare italian warbirds sounds interesting...

Cheers

Yes, italian airforce got a lot of second or third hand allied aircrafts (P-39s, P-47s, Spits, P-51s, P-38s and other twin-engined) at the end of the war.

Cheers

Ah right, I thought they were just there to make sure the Italians behaved

Users who are viewing this thread