Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It flew? Damn, I thought I knew all the big 'uns :lol:

Can you move that white square out of the way, its spoiling the picture :p

G'day mate!

Is it Italian??? Piaggio maybe??

Italian, yes. Piaggio, no. Gotta be honest, until today I never knew this plane existed and having prided myself on knowing just about every aircraft that served during WW2 I was very much surprised. You being an airliner buff I'll tell you that's how this bomber started off. According to the article I got this from NO photos exist but that was written 33 years ago, so who knows? Happy googling, I'm off to bed! :)

Gotta be honest, until today I never knew this plane existed and having prided myself on knowing just about every aircraft that served during WW2 I was very much surprised.
Aha, no reason to be surprised, my friend, because I'm utterly sure that was a bare "paper plane" ;)
I don't think Italy was allowed to built bombers after WWII (we lost the war, after all), even if at a prototype stage.
So that might be some late war project that never went beyond the paper stage...

Anyway I agree with Waynos, that looks coming from Savoia-Marchetti's, or Caproni's ateliers :D

I'll dig into my books for further info and if I find something I'll post here.

Cheers

In that case I am certain it is a Savoia Marchetti, development of the SM.95?

Spot on Wayne. The SIAI- Marchetti SM 95B.

I'll dig into my books for further info and if I find something I'll post here.

Looking forward to what you find Marcogrifo, appreciate any effort! As I stated above, the article mentions that it was built and flown in 1945. It retained the wings, engines and tail assembly of the SM 95 transport version but married to a new, deeper fuselage. Armament was four 12.7-mm Breda SAFAT machine guns.

"Unfortunately, no photographs of this prototype are available."

It almost looks more like a 4 engined SM.82 then the SM.95

That's a great find, the Piaggio P.108 was the only 4 engined Italian bomber I was aware of.

Looking forward to what you find Marcogrifo, appreciate any effort! As I stated above, the article mentions that it was built and flown in 1945.
And I must apologize, it seems like sometimes fingers are faster than brain! :|
Yes a SM.95B prototype did his mayden flight in 1945 :rolleyes:
Anyway, I'm not completely wrong, because the develop (or better, the completion) of that "bomber" was a dispensation from peace treaty agreements ;)
An excerpt from an article about SM.95 I've found on an issue of "Aerofan" magazine:

SM95B_04.png

It almost looks more like a 4 engined SM.82 then the SM.95
Yes, you're right, that is precisely the look (and the essence) of that project ;)
The profile shown in Graeme's post seems, I think, a speculation about the look the SM.95B should have had.
But these below are "the original drawings" found by the Aerofan's staff :)

SM95B_03.png

Quite a merge between SM.82 fuselage and SM.95 wings, isn't it?

That's a great find, the Piaggio P.108 was the only 4 engined Italian bomber I was aware of.
And me too :oops:
Finally, the only two known photos of SM.95B :D

SM95B_01.png

SM95B_02.png

Cheers

Good post Marcigrifo! Many thanks for that. Love the low flypast photo. So they do exist! lol. How about starting a thread devoted to rare and exotic Italian warbirds?!

Really brilliant research work!!!
Thank you to all of you involved!!
Thanks for your kind words but I did nothing more than spending some time looking through magazines...:)

Graeme said:
Good post Marcigrifo! Many thanks for that. Love the low flypast photo. So they do exist! lol. How about starting a thread devoted to rare and exotic Italian warbirds?!
Your welcome :)
Unfortunately those images are of a very poor quality :|
The idea of a thread about rare italian warbirds sounds interesting...

Cheers

Yes, italian airforce got a lot of second or third hand allied aircrafts (P-39s, P-47s, Spits, P-51s, P-38s and other twin-engined) at the end of the war.

Cheers

Ah right, I thought they were just there to make sure the Italians behaved :)

q1.jpg

Above is the real one. Below is a bonus for 10 million points :)

Image20.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back