Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm in the same boat as Krabat. I've seen this thing before., and think it was a British engine test-bed or something. can't remember off-hand what the hell it was called, or who produced it. Will get back to you on it if I remember, or get a chance to check it out on the net.

Only thing I find that looks like it is Armstong Whitworths answer to Specification P.27/32 (2 seat, single engine day bomber, 200 mph, 1,000lb bomb load, 1,000 mile range), the A.W. 29. 2 built. Designed by John Lloyd. At least according to my Putnam British Bomber book...

Just returned from annual leave.

Yeah, that must be the one, the Armstrong Whitworth A.W.29. The price goes to... Tatatataaa... paaln. And he may give us the next question.

That's the one. The Armstrong Whitworth A.W.29.
Graeme, do you have an uncropped picture of the plane?

Sorry Krabat, but no, just thought it was an interesting shot of its ungainly undercarriage.

Glad you're back Graeme. Looks like it was a nice holiday.

And I'm sure you have another picture for us :lol:

Vickers Type 253. Got the book too now. :lol: Strange wing planform.

And here's the new one:

Vickers Type 253. Got the book too now. :lol:

Damn, my ammunition is getting lower!

And here's the new one:

I have to try and beat Wurger on this one! The MiG SN, a variant of the MiG-17, with lateral intakes. It was the first Soviet fighter with such intakes? It was also designed to utilise a gun system that could pivot in the vertical plane. Something similar was intended for the Curtiss F-87 Blackhawk.

It's the MiG SN a, variant of the MiG-17. Graeme is right. But Grampa, you're not far away. I should have erased the Red Star.

I think it would have made a good night fighter. Lots of room for a large radar if you delete the cannon mounts. Maybe two fixed 23mm cannons and two early AAM's would have been a good armament, sufficent for almost everything.

O.K. Next one?

Another strange one from the Brits, mid 30s...

Attachments

• ODD001.JPG
    ODD001.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 154
O.K. Next one, found on the web:

Applying the AviaQuiz principle of 'simplicity' Krabat I'm just going to call it the Caudron Simoun, made famous by Antione de Saint Exupery. (possibly C.635 or C.635M?)

Another strange one from the Brits, mid 30s...

Wingnut, you've got the remarkable Parnall Prawn, which could alter the thrust line of the engine to escape spray and improve take off from the water. The engine was 'borrowed' from the R101 airship.

Got two for you Krabat (if you accept my answer above!) Both are postwar German designs and produced by the SAME firm. Hope you can't read the registration on the first one!

Hi Graeme,

my good friend Krabat asked me if i perhaps knew those two birds. I´d say we have here the Puetzer Bussard (large b/w) and the nice little Puetzer Elster B. Correct?

Christopher

How about this:

Hi Christopher,

I´d say we have here the Puetzer Bussard (large b/w) and the nice little Puetzer Elster B. Correct?

Correct! Do you know much about the Bussard? According to the internet one was restored in 1977 but its fate was "unknown". Interesting aircraft. The little detail that came with the photo explained that the engine was in the nose driving a pusher prop by a 19ft 8 in "flexibly-mounted" shaft.

How about this:

Looks like the Koolhoven FK 56.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back