Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In Hungarian that would be 'Bácsi' :) :) :)

:lol:

Dornier Do-14

"Designed as an experimental trans-ocean flying boat and ordered by the Deutsche Lufthansa, the Dornier Do-14 made its first flight on 10 August 1936 after a 5-year development phase. The all-metal Do-14 featured many unusual and innovative construction details. It was powered by two BMW VI engines buried in the fuselage centre, coupled by a two-speed gearbox and driving a single large-size three bladed pusher propeller mounted in a pylon on top of the wing. The propeller was driven by means of a large extension shaft. Also the cooling system was very unusual with the engine radiators buried into the upper surface of the wing. They were flush-fitted and hardly create any extra drag. In spite of its very modern layout, the cockpit was still open, although it would have been fully enclosed at later versions. During its extensive test period, the Do-14 was taken over by the rapid development in aeronautical engineering where engines were mounted in the front part of the wing using variable-pitch propellers. In fact, the Do-14 was already outdated when it flew and DLH soon lost interest in the project! Only one single Do-14 was manufactured and flown. As far as known it never flew with any registration although the civil registration D-AGON was assigned to this plane. The engines were dismounted in 1937 and the airframe was finally scrapped in 1939."

German flying boats Part 2: 1935-2000

Here's a new one:

Attachments

• jaki.jpg
    jaki.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 80
Ah, thats the swiss EKW C.3603, or something very closely related.

Federal Aircraft Factory C-3605 Schlep? Swiss, late 1960's, a target tug to the best of my recollection.

Yep...

Federal Aircraft Factory C-3605 Schlepp - target-tug

Tough machine. The article mentions one that ditched in 1974 into Lake Lucerene. Three days in 20ft of water, it was recovered and flying again soon after.

New one. Easy one.

Aah, I will abstain from this one, but I will say, check out the old Jimmy Stewart movie 'No Highway in the Sky' for some very rare movie footage of this very prototype.

I believe that's Gloster's Nene powered E.1/34 "Ace" with the second version of the tail. (later adopted by the Meteor F-8 )

I'm not sure why the Meteor was preferred, the "Ace" should have made an excelent single-seat fighter and possibly fighter-bomber, cleaner, smaller (less expensive), thinner wings, and considerably faster. (the 2-seat radar equipped Meteor would still be preferable in its role) Probably more competitive with the early Swept wing fighters than most other straight winged fighters, and probably all operational ones. (due in part to the thin wing)

Aah, I will abstain from this one, but I will say, check out the old Jimmy Stewart movie 'No Highway in the Sky' for some very rare movie footage of this very prototype.

I googled this film, but I don't remember it. Sounds good. Did the E.1/44 have a cameo role (RAE) or did it have a "starring" role?

I believe that's Gloster's Nene powered E.1/34 "Ace" with the second version of the tail. (later adopted by the Meteor F-8)

Yep. Two tails were trialled...

A cameo role, but including a very nice close up! It was strange how the story presaged the real life story of the Comet just a few years later with a new airliner that had a fatal flaw through susceptibility metal fatigue. If only there really was a Farnborough boffin that had figured it out and was prepared to board G-ALYP and retract the undercart while it was still on the tarmac to stop it flying! Classic movie!.

Here's a new one,
you guys know what this plane once was?
Don't let it fool you, look twice ;)

Attachments

• downedplane.jpg
    downedplane.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 61
Well the one in the foreground appears to be the hulk of a Brewster Buffalo, but I can't make out the rectangular sectioned centre section and wing of the one behind.

Well the one in the foreground appears to be the hulk of a Brewster Buffalo, but I can't make out the rectangular sectioned centre section and wing of the one behind.

Having just come across the exact same image online "Airframes" would appear to be correct, the caption reads
Belgian Brewster Buffalo wreckage at Darmstadt during the war. Maybe one of the 3 B-339's recieved out of the 40 ordered?
So did you mean the wreck in the background?

BTW Good to see this thread is still running, my son started this going way back in 2004, he's an old man now :D

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/old-threads/aircraft-identification-thread-i-484.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back