Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's another belly shot then, before I try another early impression, anyone know?

Image11aiv.jpg

Yes! Otherwise known as the Desford. BTW, don't you think the same company's RS.1 had the best name ever, and a completely made up word at that!

Yes, I think that 'Snargasher' is well overdue for a revival :D

This one might be a bot harder, or it might not. It is the first published representation of an aircraft that not only flew, but actually flew into action. What is it?

Image3aiv.jpg

Nope, Westland. Since the advertisement appeared in 45/46 then quite possibly an early artists' impression of the Wyvern...

You're a star Graeme! It is remarkable how many of the artist impressions that appeared in the editorial pages of Flight in those days had appeared in adverts first, this is only one of many examples that appeared in the companies advert at least a week before the editorial pages caught up. Mind you, in those days British aircraft were often not publiscised at all until actually in service or abandoned. for instance Flight published pictures of the He 280, Me 262, He 162, Ar 234, Caproni-Campini CC 2, P-59A and P-80 before any pictures of the Meteor or even the E28/39 were allowed to be printed!

Hi all,

I am in Vietnam now cycling all around Vietnam and Laos, more than 2000 Kms. already and counting... that is the reason I can not dedicate time to this forum, but now at a glance...
Vickers Wellington bomber??

Yes Emilio, that is the Vickers B.9/32 which went into production much redesigned, as the Wellington.

Having just come across the exact same image online "Airframes" would appear to be correct, the caption reads
Belgian Brewster Buffalo wreckage at Darmstadt during the war. Maybe one of the 3 B-339's recieved out of the 40 ordered?
So did you mean the wreck in the background?

BTW Good to see this thread is still running, my son started this going way back in 2004, he's an old man now :D

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/old-threads/aircraft-identification-thread-i-484.html

sorry to repond to this one so late, i've been out for a while, but yes totally correct and i didn't even knew what the one in the background was but it's appears to be correct :d , annyway i'm back in play :p
cheers

This one from above...

...was the GAL.41, a grossly modified Monospar Universal designed to explore pressurisation issues. It flew in 1939 becoming Britain's first aircraft to be fitted with a pressure cabin. It was also hoped by GAL to assist them in their pressurised airliner design, the GAL.40...

I thought Graeme's looked like a monospar, but obviously not enough to say so.

This one however I think I do recognize, I'm pretty sure that spindly rear end belongs to a Curtiss Wright CW-21, Except the fin looks different to what I would expect?

Bomber-transports. (The bottom one performed bombing missions during WWII).
What are their names?...

Vickers Vimy and Vanguard the first two, last one possibly Valentia(?)

G'day Evan. Good Answers!

In descending order...
VERNON (Developed from the Vimy Commercial)
VICTORIA (The Vanguard was a one off civil aircraft)
VALENTIA

They all look a little similar.

All being employed by the RAF, so any civil impostors should be discounted, such as the Vimy Commercial and Vanguard. However the drawing of the Valentia could be misleading? From what I've read one of the improvements from the Victoria class was a tail wheel instead of a tail skid?

G'day Graeme!

I have very little info on them, hence the 'close guesses, but not quite rights'!

Re the valentia, according to my info ( from 'Flugzeug Typen Der Welt' published by Bechtermünz verlag, 1999) "the success of the Victoria Mk VI resulted in orders for new aircraft with this engine (- Bristol Pegasus IIL3), and 28 examples were built under the name Type 264 Valentia.
In addition 54 Victoria aircraft were refitted to Valentia standard and redesignated as such, a small number of aircraft converted with Bristol Pegasus IIM3 engines receiving the same designation.
The RAF had over 60 Valentias by the outbreak of the second world war, of which many remained in service till 1941, two machines even serving in Irak until May 1944"

Maybe the remods explain the tail wheel /skid differences ?

In addition 54 Victoria aircraft were refitted to Valentia standard and redesignated as such, a small number of aircraft converted with Bristol Pegasus IIM3 engines receiving the same designation.

Maybe the remods explain the tail wheel /skid differences ?

You're right Evan. Sounds like a line from a Harry Potter movie but..."only a true Valentia has a castoring tailwheel." :D The Valentia in the post above is J8231 and was a converted Victoria that served with 216 Squadron and eventually sold to the Indian Government.

Tailwheel Valentias started with K3599 and ended with K8852, twenty eight in all, as you stated.

New one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back