Aircraft murders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Prince George, Duke of Kent crash reminds me of the somewhat suspicious crash that killed Adolf II, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe and his wife Ellen. On March 26 of 1936, the Ford Trimotor they were aboard inexplicably flew into the side of a Mexican volcano. It was thought that he might be on the outs with the Hitler regime.

The Prince George, Duke of Kent crash reminds me of the somewhat suspicious crash that killed Adolf II, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe and his wife Ellen. On March 26 of 1936, the Ford Trimotor they were aboard inexplicably flew into the side of a Mexican volcano. It was thought that he might be on the outs with the Hitler regime.

Both cases look very strange unless you consider the person at the controls was on a suicide mission.

I suppose the pilots could have been rendered insensate by some administered noxious substance.

Such a horrible tragedy that was :(

I drove down the A74 at Lockerbie that night, not long before the wreckage came down. Had I been maybe fifteen minutes late, leaving Glasgow, I might have been one of the victims caught on the ground. A terrible act of cowardly cruelty - made worse when reports, and photos, started to come in, about the wreckage, and victims, found spread across a very long swathe of England and Scotland.

SilkAir Flight 185.
The NTSB concluded that the pilot had deliberately dived into the ground killing all 104 people on board.

Egypt Air Flight 990.
The NTSB found the crash was caused by deliberate action of First Officer Gameel Al-Batouti, killing all 217 people on board.

Needless to say the local authorities disagreed with the NTSB's conclusions in both cases.

Steve

I drove down the A74 at Lockerbie that night, not long before the wreckage came down. Had I been maybe fifteen minutes late, leaving Glasgow, I might have been one of the victims caught on the ground. A terrible act of cowardly cruelty - made worse when reports, and photos, started to come in, about the wreckage, and victims, found spread across a very long swathe of England and Scotland.
Good thing you missed that, Terry!

I cannot fathom the reasoning behind people who commit acts of harm and misery upon innocent people. So many other ways to get a point across. :(

What about the PanAm flight 103 that crashed at Lockerby?

Not sure if this is in line with the spirit of the thread. This one was solved I believe. A few Libyans were handed over by Gaddafi and one was convicted of the crime. Gaddafi and Libya paid compensation to the victims. The only question that seems to be unresolved was whether Gaddafi ordered the attack.

Last edited:
The only question that seems to be unresolved was whether Gaddafi ordered the attack.

Or whether it was ordered by Gaddafi and carried out by Libyans at all. This is not wild conspiracy theory territory.

Gaddafi had his own reasons for coughing up a few of his petro-dollars and handing over a couple of his hapless intelligence officers.

Cheers

Steve

Yes, there are a lot of those after you get beyond the original era; probably starting with John Gilbert Graham in 1955. He was executed in 1957.

Graham blew up an entire airliner to kill his mother and collect her insurance and inheritance.

Before Graham, there was Albert Guay who blew up an airliner full of people over Canada in 1949 to kill his wife Rita. His motives were to collect on her life insurance and to remove her as an impediment to a relationship he was having with his mistress. He enlisted a shady clockmaker named Genereux Ruest and, Ruest's sister, Marguerite Pitre to gather materials and build the bomb. All three were convicted of murder and executed. Madame Pitre, who went to the gallows on January 9 of 1953, was the last woman hanged in Canada.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back