Aircraft paintings by er.. me :)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mjb11800

Airman
Jul 4, 2012
Hello! Did these over the last few weeks or so, just thought I'd chuck them up and see if you like them! I only do cars normally, so it's a bit of a departure. Still playing around at the mo, so some are better than others... anyways, feel free to comment :)

bomberx8x.jpg

b17overengland.jpg

mustangxx.jpg

-bomber.jpg

p54xxl.jpg

p51mustangx.jpg

Cheerio, Matt.

ps, I've got these at 53.3 inches wide if anyone wants me to send a huge version. Just send over an email address and I'll pop it over... might be nice on a canvas/large format print/whatever.

Matt, very nice paintings, what's the aircraft depicted in the first plate? Turret placement suggests a B-17. I particularly like your treatment of the heavies over water. Would love to see a PB4Y-2 done similarly by you.

Thank you very much :) You are completely correct, a B17.. a PB4Y-2? I'll see what I can do!

:thumbleft: Cheers lads for the kind comments, appreciate you taking the time out for some feedback. Airframes, they're digital paintings, all done on the computer- it's a blend of 3d/2d elements and then gone over with a wacom tablet to achieve the painted look (all strokes done by hand over several seperate layers). Werger mentioned there is a 'prints' section, but I havent found it yet - I'll be doing a few of these over the coming weeks, so if anyone wants anything specific,(and I have the time) just lemme know and I can supply a jumbo version (almost a metre wide) via email and you can print it off onto canvas. No charge whatsoever - I just like doing them :D
Here's one I posted up on the other thread, but thought I'd get them all in one place - might put this one in the competition its a bit better than my first attempt!

oldcrowcv63, what kind of setting would you like to see for the PB4Y? I've done some prep work, just havent decided on a location as yet, open to suggestions, me :)

Thanks again, Matt.

Attachments

• battleatse8e.jpg
    battleatse8e.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
One of the strange events of WW2 were the rare meetings of USN and IJN maritime patrol aircraft. I've heard that occasionally a PB4Y would encounter a Kawanishi H8K2 Emily flying boat and a battle would ensue that was more like the frigate to frigate engagements of the Late 18th and early 19th centuries. That would be a possible theme. That or a PB4Y-2 on a sub hunt, just passing over a submerging sub or flying by the feather of a periscope. Whatever floats your boat. :)

Speaking of boats, that's an imaginative scene you've posted above. Nationalist Chinese P-40 (B models I think) attacking an IJN Shinano or Junyo class carrier? Looks like there are 5 carrier (Not counting the one that's sinking to port) in view and being overflown by a formation of B-17s. Clearly, your visions are not limited to reality, or perhaps include alternate time lines in other dimensions? :lol:

Last edited:
Hello! Yes, I really like the idea of the sub hunt, think I might go with that :) Thanks for the suggestion.
lol, you're not far off there matey, some slight twisting of historical accuracy going on in that particular pic!,.. Those are P40 flying tigers attacking a german aircraft carrier that was never actually operational, It is in fact the Graf Zeppelin. The carriers in the distance are variations of :)
Ahem! :lol:

Graf Zepplin being attacked by Flying Tiggers! Now that's what I call a rich imagination! :D

Actually gotta wonder if the IJN didn't cast its eyes jealously on the GZ and wonder how that could get it to Yokohama. By big submarine in small pieces, I suppose. Wait! Another topic for a painting? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Actually, truth be told,.. I was more practising technique than anything, it was just a case of right,.. planes look ok.... need something to be shot at> wikipedia > German aircraft carrier > that'll do!
Literally seconds of research. I tend to get into a full head of steam when I'm practising, and as (originally) as I wasnt going to show it to anyone- I er,.. didnt keep it that accurate. Or indeed, accurate at all! :)
I've half made the PB4Y image, its taking a while as I'm a bit tied up at the mo with work, it currently a moonlit nightime scene over the sea, but no-doubt it'll change by the time I've finished! Any particular markings/nose art you want? Havent' done that bit yet. You can have this one if you like when its finished (as long as you dont hate it!) We had one printed the other day in massive format on canvas, looked nice :)

Would love to see you do a Coastal Command Hampden TB Mk.I or Beaufighter raid over the atlantic Matt... swap you one or two Ferrari sketches for it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back