Airfix 1/72 Scale Arado 196 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nice very nice job, and, and I losing myself this, shame not to have a more detailed step by step, work at this level the detailed 1/72 is important .......

Just caught up with this one. That's some great scratch building your doing I don't know how you guys work at that scale it's soooooo small. Looking forward to some more updates

Idea for camouflage :)
IM001882.JPG

Thanks Oprpt, From what I can find that is the only one still existing. I think I am having paint issues. From what I can find the upper paint is RLM 72/73 splinter, the underside RLM 65. I had this very same problem with the BV 138 that I just completed. There seems to be no contrast between the two colours. Most of the kits I have seen built on the net it's very apparent the difference in colours. Are people cheating ?? and using a different colour scheme. Honestly, after the BV 138 was hosed down with matt clear it looks like it's all one colour. At any rate here are the floats completed. I had to glue the two strips across the top of the struts as they are very flimsy and broke a couple of times. I'll remove them when the time comes to join them to the fuselage.

floats_zps03a065d7.jpg

floats2_zps0c0cd34b.jpg

floats3_zps478fec8a.jpg

Last edited:
The RLM72/RLM73 were the naval equivalents for the RLM70/71 paints. Because of the sea water and weather conditions these could look like being of the same tonality and the difference between them wasn't noticable. However the "light" conditions when a picture was taking, could have made an significant impact on the finall effect. I have gone through many images and a few books for the Ar-196 and even though their fuselage looked solid painted , the splinter camo can be seen on almost all floats. Look at these two shots of the float plane below..... pic source: the net

Ar196.jpg

AradoAr196.jpg

Last edited:
See Paul's (Meatloaf) thread in the current Group Build regarding colours and dates of changes. The 72/73 actually showed quite a contrast, but it depends on the quality of the photo, particularly in monochrome. It's possible that some shots, claiming to be the 'splinter' scheme, are the overall single colour on the upper surfaces.

Well I just started back on this and more or less have the cockpit and engine scratched up. It kind of feels like we might have a nasty winter so I should have time to get a few kits done up.
100_0700_zps53906251.jpg
100_0698_zpse31add5a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back