Airfix 1/72 Scale Arado 196

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
Got blindsided when I least expected it. The War Dept. Handed me one of those book deals full of paint swatches " do you like this colour" married guys know how this pans out !
Anyhow, looks like the Airfix He 177 is getting bumped again in favour of this little gem. Typical Airfix kit, void of any real detail. Decal sheet looks great and the quality of the plastic is fantastic ! Kind of have seaplanes on the brain after the BV 138 which isn't quite done yet. I have a Revell He 115 I may do next. Built the Matchbox He 155 about 10 years ago but didn't do any weathering on it so I may make it a dirty one ! Here's the Ar 196.

ar2_zps2397279b.jpg

ar1_zpse621918e.jpg

Last edited:
Good one. I remember doing this kit (same moulds as Heller) when it was first released in the 1960s. By the standards of the day, it was regarded as a detailed kit, and nicely produced.

I had some time to spare today, work is slow so I came home early. Added push rod tubes, Plug leads and rocker covers to the engine and started on the fuselage framing as well as a guage panel. There are a couple of examples of this plane done brilliantly on this site which I will be borrowing upon heavily !!! One is by Vaughan in 1/32 scale that is killer !!! I really wish I had more time to spend here, this forum is HUGE !!! I could spend a whole day checking it out !

ar3_zps15ac3ea1.jpg

Maybe weeks !!!!!

Last edited:
A day?? A year more like!

Great start too, very nicely done.

Terry, cheers for that info - didn't know the Ar 196 was the same moulding aswell. Seems to have been a common practice for them: Vampire, Spitfire Mk.I, Fw 190D-9, Me 163, etc are likewise common mouldings.

Great start - I like the structural frame work.
Evan, Heller were owned by the same Group who bought Humbrol, who had acquired the Airfix and Heller brands. Heller eventually seemed to fade, although still moulded some Airfix stuff, but are now back, I think owned by Hornby (the Airfix owners)! Recently got the Heller Jaguar GR1/GR3, which was an Airfix moulding originally.
Confused yet?!!
Sorry, back to the thread.

After seeing the Heller Vampire mould reboxed as Airfix and now Revell, nothing (or everything??) confuses me any more Terry... atleast nothing a good Pálinka can't fix...:)

I wish I had more free time. Between paying the Government and keeping the War Dept. happy....painting...yet again. Got the floats done. Added the stiffeners and chines as well as the bracing wire. Ernie Ball Super Slinky E strings. Tomorrow it's back to work on the fuselage and engine with a bit of luck.

floats_zps42934954.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back