airplane which can land both in water and land

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mar 28, 2009
is there a plane which can land both in land and water

if yes when was the first one made

I think the first amphibious aircraft was made in the 30's...not real sure, though I bet someone here knows for sure.

I do know that Grumman made a number of amphibious aircraft, like the J2F Duck, G-73 Mallard, SA-16 Albatross, G-21 Goose and the J4F Widgeon.

Later in WWII, the PBY Catalina was converted to amphibious cabalities as the PBY5A.

The most recent ones I can think of is the Canadian Canadair CL-415 and the Japanese ShinMaywa US1A.

The list of amphibious aircraft is a long one, perhaps you might like to see the list of aircraft by nations that Wikipedia has:
List of seaplanes and amphibious aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi Farmersboy,

>Don't forget the Supermarine Walrus of 1933, designed by a certain R J Mitchell.

Heinkel He 57 Heron, 1929. All-metal single-engine monoplane amphibian.

But I'm sure there must have been earlier types ... Jacob Goedecker built an amphbian as early as 1912, though it didn't manage any successful flights.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

But I'm sure there must have been earlier types ..

H.G. Hawker flew the amphibious Sopwith Bat Boat on 8th July 1918, successfully winning the Mortimer Singer prize of 500 Pounds, making it one of the first amphibians to fly in Europe.

Holy Aerial Canoe, Batman! (punches fist into opposite glove) :D

The name Bat Boat always amused me!

didn't the germans devolop aa amphibious plane during WW1? I think it was called the sea albotross.

heh. Kinda like saying all ships are submersible, but only submersibles may become ships again. :occasion5:

I seem to recall pics from Pearl Harbor's Catalina base (Ford Island, IIRC) where the burning planes were not at piers, but sitting on the tarmac. There's really not much space on FordIsland to put a bunch of piers for Cats, either (I was barracked off Ford Island for about 8 months), especially with all the battlewagons and such around the island. So I would hazard a guess that the Cats there were land/water planes.

The Germans made some really big flying boats. Here's some, the Dornier Do X

dornier-do-x_1.jpg

And the Blohm und Voss Bv 222.

04587.gif

I never knew a of a plane called the "Bat Boat"!

heh. Kinda like saying all ships are submersible, but only submersibles may become ships again. :occasion5:

I seem to recall pics from Pearl Harbor's Catalina base (Ford Island, IIRC) where the burning planes were not at piers, but sitting on the tarmac. There's really not much space on FordIsland to put a bunch of piers for Cats, either (I was barracked off Ford Island for about 8 months), especially with all the battlewagons and such around the island. So I would hazard a guess that the Cats there were land/water planes.
The early Catalinas were hauled up a ramp on wheeled dollies, like most other Seaplanes, when they were stowed or being serviced. The later Catalinas were true amphibians.

As far as the Germans having big seaplanes, indeed they did, but the world's largest are the American seaplanes, like the Hugh's H4 Hercules (Spruce Goose) and the Martin JRM-1. The H4 is actually one of the largest aircraft in the world, but the JRM-1 (also JRM-2 JRM-3) is the largest production flying boat in the world.

Not forgetting the Saro Princess from Britain and the French Latecoere L.631. I thibk the Hughes H.4 has the largest winspan of any aircraft ever built but the Princess is the biggest Flying boat to fly successfully (ie more than a couple of feet high and more than once) would that be right?

Also, it must be said that Seaplanes are not flying boats and vice versa. A flying boat has a hull whereas a seaplane has floats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back