Albums That Influenced You The Most...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ten Years After - A Space in Time. In reality even more important to me were my two earlier albums, Deep Purple's Fireball and The Who's Who's Next but TYA and Alvin Lee seems to have more unknown on this site so I put them first. I liked very much the guitar sound of Alvin when I was young. But he isn't even The Worlds Greatest Guitarist poll candidate, not that I'd have voted him, slowhand is slowhand, but…

Juha

Well I must admit my list could be a very long one but I will try to keep it to the spirit of the original post
HAWKWIND
Hall of the mountain grill
Astounding sounds amazing music
Warrior on the edge of time
Space ritual
Quark strangeness and charm
25 years on

MOTORHEAD
Overkill
Ace of spades
Orgasmatron

Montrose
Montrose

Colessium 2
Wardance
Electric savage

Frank Zappa
Overnite sensation
Apostophy

Camel
Moonmadness

Tangerine dream
Cyclone

Ultravox
Systems of romance
Ha ha ha

Jethro Tull
Songs from the wood
Heavy horses

Talking heads
Live album

Simple minds
Life in a day

Yes
Relayer

Steve Earl
Copperhead road

The Chickasaw mudpuppies
White dirt
8 track stomp

The presidents of the USA

They are in no particular order. There are a lot but they all had a huge impact on me at the time and some still do today.

The Bay City Rollers (First Band I ever listened to)

Anything from RUSH, but especially Spirit of Radio and Moving Pictures

King Crimson - Beat, Discipline, Three of a perfect Pair, In the Court of the Crimson King

Jackson Brown - Running on Empty

Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers - Damn the Torpedoes

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You

Pink Floyd - The Wall, Dark Side of the moon, Animals, Wish you were Here

Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell

Kinks - Low Budget

Joe Jackson - Jumpin Jive

George Throgood and the Delaware Destroyers - George Throgood and the Delaware Destroyers

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run, River

Bon Jovi - Bon Jovi

Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin

Jean Michael Jarre (Pick one)

Black Sabbith - Paranoid

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

Kiss - Destroyer, Alive II

Van Halen

AC DC - Back in Black, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Adrian Belew - Rhino

Adam Ant

Cheap Trick - Live at Budokan, Dream Police

The Beatles - White Album

Kiss-Destroyer
Iron Maiden Killers, Number of the Beast
Black Sabbath-The Ozzy years
Rush- Moving Pictures
UFO- Lights Out
Judas Priest- Sin after-Sin, Defenders of the Faith
Saxon- Denim and Leather
Motorhead- Ace of Spades
Savatage- Hall of the Mountian King
AC/DC- Dirty Deeds, Back in Black
Metallica- kill em All
Megadeth Killing is my Business
Ozzy-The Blizzard of Oz
Metal Church- Metal Church
Ace Frehley's 1979 solo Album, simply put to GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Billy Joel-Songs in the Attic
Bon Jovi- Have a Nice day "When the world gets in my way I say, Have a nice Day!"
Ozzy Osbourne- Randy Rhoad (?) tribute.
Bon Jovi- Crossroads
Beatles- Let it Be
Blink 182- Greatest hite

Queen II
Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
Yessongs
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
Clash - London Calling
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Teenage Head - Frantic City
Max Webster - High Class in Borrowed Shoes
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

...and on it goes. Now you know how old I am.

My very first album...

330503018661ef3578dcafdf58e3eb95.600x600x1.jpg

....the one that set me very far apart from the others...

das_1973er_album_brain_salad_surgery_s8.jpg

Oooo, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Brain Salad Surgery with cover art by H.R. Giger - nice. You're showing your credentials now, Geo.

Influential album? Only the Greatest - Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. My step father used to play it to me as a 5 year old and I've loved it ever since. Also the fact that Money has the line "Don't give me that do goody good Bulls**t" in it, which was the first time I'd heard anyone swear on a record.

A big Floyd fan, when Kerry passed away in August I played Comfortably Numb at his funeral.

Oooo, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Brain Salad Surgery with cover art by H.R. Giger - nice. You're showing your credentials now, Geo.

Influential album? Only the Greatest - Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. My step father used to play it to me as a 5 year old and I've loved it ever since. Also the fact that Money has the line "Don't give me that do goody good Bulls**t" in it, which was the first time I'd heard anyone swear on a record.

A big Floyd fan, when Kerry passed away in August I played Comfortably Numb at his funeral.
Roger Water's guitar runs on "Comfortably Numb" are--fantastic. I'm more of a Stevie Ray Vaughn fan, but Waters guitar work is first class.

The "Sound of Music" is a winner. Also enjoy "The Wind is Alive".
The only question I have about the plot of the great movie-circa 1966- The Sound of Music- Captain Von Trapp was a Captain in the Austrian Navy- I thought Austria, like Luxemborg, was a land-locked Country. Oh well, get to see Christopher Plummer again in the new movie about Getty.

The only question I have about the plot of the great movie-circa 1966- The Sound of Music- Captain Von Trapp was a Captain in the Austrian Navy- I thought Austria, like Luxemborg, was a land-locked Country. Oh well, get to see Christopher Plummer again in the new movie about Getty.
I had the pleasure of visiting a few minutes with Mrs Von Trapp at the Twin Cities Airport. A delightful person. I was there to assist her in boarding the flight.

I had the pleasure of visiting a few minutes with Mrs Von Trapp at the Twin Cities Airport. A delightful person. I was there to assist her in boarding the flight.

Hi Hansie, sorry, Dave Gilmour was/is Pink Floyd's lead guitarist, Roger's on bass, but yes, definitely a fine guitarist.
Thanks for the clarification- Roger Waters is the only member of PF that I recognized, just thought he was on lead guitar. I rank "Comfortably Numb" with Zepplin's "Stairway To Heaven" as a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back