ALL FORUM MEMBERS, IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT, PLEASE READ! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm sure it did Bill, much longer than it would take today.
RAF Valley is roughly 116 miles from where I now live, and even with the 'new' roads, including the 'Expressway' across the island of Angelsey, it takes around two and half to three hours to get there.
Travelling up or down the UK today is not too bad, but travelling across the country can take some time. Parts of East Anglia, for example, have hardly changed in 100 years - some of the 'old' roads are still the major routes, although most have been widened now of course - and many of the WW2 airfield locations are still in 'the middle of nowhere' !

Bill, just letting you know that the distance from Molesworth to RAF Valley is 236 miles, about a three and a half to four hour drive today. Back in 1945, the road distance would be longer I guess, and the travelling time much longer !
I used to spend quite a lot of time just across the bay from Valley, and watched the Hawks flying to and fro from 4 FTS, which still operates from there today.
Depending on the various motorways (freeways) in the Midlands, it can take a while longer than that Airframes! :D I guess that in WW2, with roadsigns being taken down and blackout considerations, you could be looking at a CONSIDERABLE journey! :D

I'm sure it did Bill, much longer than it would take today.
RAF Valley is roughly 116 miles from where I now live, and even with the 'new' roads, including the 'Expressway' across the island of Angelsey, it takes around two and half to three hours to get there.
Travelling up or down the UK today is not too bad, but travelling across the country can take some time. Parts of East Anglia, for example, have hardly changed in 100 years - some of the 'old' roads are still the major routes, although most have been widened now of course - and many of the WW2 airfield locations are still in 'the middle of nowhere' !
Things haven't changed a lot. Travel North and South in the UK was good when I was there, but East and West nearly impossible. I tried to meet a friend in Cambridge who was stationed SE and he could not get there.I had no problem. We tried two or three times.o_O

That east-west thing is still a royal pain in the rear end Bill! o_O I was very lucky that I lived in one of the small villages nearby. I only had a very short trip across country to get into work. Do the villages of Sawtry Hamerton, Winwick, Old Weston and Great Gidding bring back any memories?

That east-west thing is still a royal pain in the rear end Bill! o_O I was very lucky that I lived in one of the small villages nearby. I only had a very short trip across country to get into work. Do the villages of Sawtry Hamerton, Winwick, Old Weston and Great Gidding bring back any memories?
No. The only places I visited were Molesworth, Bedford, Cambridge and London.

Well, shows how slow I can be.
I just today found this thread. You are an amazing lot. Humble and reverent to a fault.
You did good for an old serviceman. How could it not give comfort to someone who had limited contact with the outside,
that there were people from around the world who still show respect for sacrifices given.
It's why I am still here, to be one among you.
:pilotsalute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back