"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The video of the ship burning, posted above, appears to be the Makarov, with its long forecastle mounting a single gun, a mattress radar on the mainmast, and a bulky superstructure largely aft. With credit to Dessee23 at another forum where we're discussing this war, here's a still of the burning ship compared to a peacetime photo:

View attachment 667203

View attachment 667204

I suspect the two differing reports are a matter of misidentification. Compare to a peacetime pic of a Krivak:

View attachment 667205

The forecastle and superstructure are very different from the pic of the burning ship.
The Frigates, Admiral Grigorovich, Makarov and Essen are termed Krivak IV class by NATO - the one burning and first reported is the Makarov.

FSEhGt_XoAMeKb8?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

So it may be that both reports are true, but referring to one ship using two different identifiers?
Maybe, but there are also the The Admiral Gorshkov, and Admiral Kasatonov, they are the newest Russian class of multi-role frigates. They are a successor to the old Burevestnik class (NATO reporting name Krivak class). The hull is very similar.
So can indeed be that two Frigates were hit - one being the Makarow (Krivak IV class) and one of the two new Krivak class Frigates.

Maybe, but there are also the The Admiral Gorshkov, and Admiral Kasatonov, they are the newest Russian class of multi-role frigates. They are a successor to the old Burevestnik class (NATO reporting name Krivak class). The hull is very similar.
So can indeed be that two Frigates were hit - one being the Makarow (Krivak IV class) and one of the two new Krivak class Frigates.

Until we get confirmation, we're only speculating, which is why I'm in wait-and-see mode. Neither Reuters nor AP are reporting it at all, which makes me think they're having to work hard for any objective confirmation.

Until we get confirmation, we're only speculating, which is why I'm in wait-and-see mode. Neither Reuters nor AP are reporting it at all, which makes me think they're having to work hard for any objective confirmation.

Yeah...the lack of information is frustrating. That said, as noted earlier, the claims are already out there and so it should be pretty easy for Russia to contradict the claim if the Admiral Makarov wasn't, in fact, hit. The simple lack of any Russian information, particularly the strident denial, is somewhat telling to me. I wonder if they're trying to find a better story than "We had another accidently fire on another ship" which clearly won't cut it.

Yeah...the lack of information is frustrating. That said, as noted earlier, the claims are already out there and so it should be pretty easy for Russia to contradict the claim if the Admiral Makarov wasn't, in fact, hit. The simple lack of any Russian information, particularly the strident denial, is somewhat telling to me. I wonder if they're trying to find a better story than "We had another accidently fire on another ship" which clearly won't cut it.

Sure -- it looks pretty fishy, given the entire lack of Russian transparency. I'm more inclined to believe the Ukrainians anyway, given that over the last nine weeks their reports have proven more accurate than the Russians anyway.

But I try to restrain my own personal bias and that's what is driving my outlook and commentary here.

Last edited:
The Pentagon has said that they so far have received No Intelligence that the Russian Frigate Admiral Makarov has been struck by Ukrainian Anti-Ship Missiles and is sinking near Odessa, though they have been paying very close attention to the Claims over the last 24 hours.

There are also rumors that the video I posted above may have been created with a videogame.

I guess we have to switch to wait-and-see mode until further evidence in one way or another emerges.

Courage comes in all shapes and sizes:

A 15-year-old girl managed to save the lives of four adults after their car was attacked by Russian forces while fleeing Popasna in April.

Lisa Chernyshenko took the wheel when the driver and other passengers were hit by Russian fire on the road to Bakhmut.

The car came under fire again and Lisa was wounded in her legs, but she managed to continue driving and until they were taken to safety by the Ukrainian military. Everyone in the car survived.

She is now receiving treatment for her injuries at a hospital in Lviv.

1651871933616.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back