"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not surprised at all about not being equipped for winter operations. The Russians never learn. I had Russian soldiers trying to trade me for my winter boots and buy them winter boots because they only summer issue in Kosovo.
Interestingly, during the Second World War, Germans would take the winter boots off of dead Russians. In 1941-45 the Russians understood winter kit, whilst the invaders, expecting a short war did not. Seems the roles have reversed.

I suppose the regional winters are different, but I wonder if the Finns could teach the Ukrainians anything about winter fighting? Of course when this war is over, it will be the Ukrainians that will teach everyone else on how to fight and defeat the Russians.

1664195035640.png

according to freshly revealed news some of freshly conscripted man has been send directly to the frontline....

according to freshly revealed news some of freshly conscripted man has been send directly to the frontline....
Damn, these guys are screwed. It reminds me of stories of Russians troops heading to the front lines in 1914-1917 with nothing but farm tools.

By December, 1914, the Russian Army had 6,553,000 men. However, they only had 4,652,000 rifles. "Untrained troops were ordered into battle without adequate arms or ammunition. And because the Russian Army had about one surgeon for every 10,000 men, many wounded of its soldiers died from wounds that would have been treated on the Western Front. With medical staff spread out across a 500 mile front, the likelihood of any Russian soldier receiving any medical treatment was close to zero". (12) Russia and the First World War

Good point above about combat medics. I expect the Russians today, and especially the separatists are short on those in Ukraine.

Advance eastwards from the southern fringes of the Oskil river seems to be picking up speed. Russian aligned sources reporting Ukrainian forces now in control of Ridkodub and Nove and actively pushing east and north. Ukrainian forces also making gains into Lyman. Fighting is heavy and both sides are committing reinforcements. Some Russian sources expect Nove to be recaptured today.

The AFU advances, if they manage to be held, almost put Lyman into a pocket. If the Ukranians advance a couple more km eastward, then getting out of Lyman is going to get real difficult, real fast. Retreat gets channeled into a pair of very narrow roads going east, as the front is immediately to the south and there is a river to the north forming a natural bottleneck only 2 or 3 km wide.

I'd expect a withdrawal eastwards from Lyman in short order, perhaps using the Zherebets river as the next logical anchor for a defensive line. I'm not a military expert, but potentially Ukraine advances another 5-10km East and North in the next day or two - although clearing the pocket (if one is created) could take some time.

No one owes anyone their attention nor a reply.

I did not say you owed a reply. I pointed out your elision because it seems to ignore some inconvenient facts. But hey, we'd all like the Russian to mount shoestring ops.

That said, I have not suggested that such theft will be effective, only that like most invaders they will try to live off the land through theft and pillaging, to the detriment of the locals.

Yeah, it won't be effective. Didn't work for the Germans in 1941 either.

Last edited:
Love Roger's early music, his politics have cost him a lot. Some of his later output is unlistenable because of it. Some musicians have such a huge platform they can't ignore.

Damn, these guys are screwed. It reminds me of stories of Russians troops heading to the front lines in 1914-1917 with nothing but farm tools.

By December, 1914, the Russian Army had 6,553,000 men. However, they only had 4,652,000 rifles. "Untrained troops were ordered into battle without adequate arms or ammunition. And because the Russian Army had about one surgeon for every 10,000 men, many wounded of its soldiers died from wounds that would have been treated on the Western Front. With medical staff spread out across a 500 mile front, the likelihood of any Russian soldier receiving any medical treatment was close to zero". (12) Russia and the First World War

Good point above about combat medics. I expect the Russians today, and especially the separatists are short on those in Ukraine.
i think reality of ru army is even more screwed - i don't think they have any program of training combat medics at all and medical training of soldiers (first aid) is none as well, which perfectly corresponding to first aid kits condition they are issuing - lucky ones have kits but all are older than 30 years - manufactured during bright times of SU existence

"For his part, Zaluzhny is girding for a long and bloody slog. "Knowing what I know firsthand about the Russians, our victory will not be final," he told TIME. "Our victory will be an opportunity to take a breath and prepare for the next war."

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back