"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (9 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Re: The fake news. You have reminded me of many years back when Geraldo Rivera was doing exposes for his shows. He was doing one on professional wrestling in the US for TV. I remember after a match , he ran up to a wrestler walking down a hallway, shoved the microphone in his face and said, "This is all fake, isn't it?" The wrestler smacked Geraldo's face, open handed, hard enough to lift him and knock him down, and said, "Was that fake?"

That is all the sanctions are designed to do. They can't and won't impede ongoing military ops for some time to come, assuming Russia has laid in reserves of vital materials, which is my understanding.

I doubt that will happen. The Saudis are preventing OPEC from increasing daily production, keeping prices up; but most American oil productions nowdays (56% or so the last time I read) is from fracking or refining sand-oils (i.e. "tight oil"), which doesn't turn a profit above ~$45/bbl or so. Now, oil is at ~$110/bbl right now, but the low prices over the last three-four years have seen frackers etc go bust in America the last four years or so, and it will take some time to restart those ops.

Saudis can pull a profit at $12-14/bbl because their oil is easy to get at. The Russians need about $30/bbl to come out ahead, but with sanctions in place that number will surely rise.

If we go that route, Americans must be ready for $6/gal for gas, for the reasons given above.

I used to work in the oil and gas industry. I was going to comment in agreement and elaborate why, but I think it might go too far out of the topic realm. You covered it nicely… :D

I manage a gas station and pay attention to this stuff.

Sorry if I went too far off-topic, but I thought it needed addressing.

No you were good. I was going to jump into the economics that everyone ignores, which would have gone way out there. I decided to leave it alone.

For example, Algeria has offered to increase production.
That is more a patch than a solution. The problem for the argelian gas is that the pipes from there to Spain and Europe run through Morocco and both countries are once again at odds (so bad this time that there are no ambassadors) and Morocco don't let the gas go by so it has to be carried by ship and there isn't any where near the transport capacity to ship all needed neither the capacity to process the natural gas back from liquid state to gas state.

The sooner the West gets energy independence (most likely from renovables) the better, so we can get rid of all those m.th.rf.ck.rs blackmailers dictators and satraps, either in the East or the middle east or wherever they are.

Last edited:
No you were good. I was going to jump into the economics that everyone ignores, which would have gone way out there. I decided to leave it alone.

The economics is why the sanctions do indeed matter, right? I know that they take more time to bite, and that the sanctions cannot and probably will not save Ukraine, unfortunately. But it beats all hell out of Global Thermonuclear War.

The economics is why the sanctions do indeed matter, right? I know that they take more time to bite, and that the sanctions cannot and probably will not save Ukraine, unfortunately. But it beats all hell out of Global Thermonuclear War.

Any economic decision whether it is fiscal or monetary policy takes time. It's never immediate. There is always a lag. A decision made by one administration usually is not fully felt until the next (some are). Hence why its funny when any of them take claim when its going well.

The same can be said for economic sanctions.

If this part of the report you linked is true, it bespeaks dissension inside the government of Russia itself:

Ukrainian National Security and Defense Council Secretary Oleksiy Danilov told a Ukrainian television network that anti-war elements in Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) have been essential in helping foil some of the plots.

Of course, there's no telling if it isn't propaganda as well. I myself hope it's true.

I used to be totally ignorant of macroeconomics before starting my Masters in Business Administration. I'm still no where near being an expert, but I really enjoy it now and understand it a lot more. My studies were eye opening to say the least.

One more week and I graduate!

My understanding of economics (micro- or macro-) can be fitted into a thimble.

I used to be totally ignorant of macroeconomics before starting my Masters in Business Administration. I'm still no where near being an expert, but I really enjoy it now and understand it a lot more. My studies were eye opening to say the least.

One more week and I graduate!
i like you will graduate in BA but i don't see the connection within BA and macroeconomics can you explain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back