"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The cost looks even smaller when you compare it to the GDP.

US Defense Spending (not the Defense Budget) is expected to be ~$1.05 trillion out of an expected US GDP of ~$23 trillion for the year 2022.
The $80 billion for Ukraine is ~0.35% (note that is only a little over 1/3 of 1%) of the expected US GDP for the year 2022.

During WWII the US Defense Spending averaged almost 40% of the GDP for the years 1943-1945.

My fear is that reparations will simply set up the same scenario we had at the end of WW1, where harsh reparations set the scene for Hitler.
Poorly enforced harsh reparations, compounded by lying army officers who kept saying they hadn't lost and kept blaming Jews and politicians. The Germans so badly managed their wartime economy that there was massive starvation within Germany well before 11/11/1918

Source: BBC.

Russian forces are forming defensive positions manned by poorly trained reservists around Svatove in the Luhansk region of north-eastern Ukraine, the UK's Ministry of Defence (MoD) says.

The area is likely now a more vulnerable operational flank for Russia, the MoD's latest report finds.

Moscow could see retaining control of Svatove as a political priority, the update says. But commanders are "likely struggling" with maintaining a credible defence while attempting to resource offensive operations further south in Donetsk.

"Both Russian defensive and offensive capability continues to be hampered by severe shortages of munitions and skilled personnel," the report adds.

The cost looks even smaller when you compare it to the GDP.

US Defense Spending (not the Defense Budget) is expected to be ~$1.05 trillion out of an expected US GDP of ~$23 trillion for the year 2022.
The $80 billion for Ukraine is ~0.35% (note that is only a little over 1/3 of 1%) of the expected US GDP for the year 2022.

During WWII the US Defense Spending averaged almost 40% of the GDP for the years 1943-1945.
Dare I say that even more importantly, no NATO blood has been lost with the obvious exception of some volunteers who have joined the Ukraine Forces.

No penny pincher can come up with a Cost Benefit Analysis that includes that most important feature.

The Crotale works best when firing from an elevation but this makes it more conspicious. During the good ole cold war days when everybody was expecting a massive invasion preceded but strong air strikes, the Crotale's life expectancy was evaluated to less than a week.

Interesting cost - benefit analysis

The West is getting great value for dollar here. We get to kick Russia's ass whilst sitting in our armchairs. And those close to Putin know this, that their leader's idiocy in Ukraine has given the West a golden opportunity to use their latest weaponry, some of it close to expiry and thus ideally suited for immediate use, to knock Russia into bit player status on the world stage, and to likely forever sever Russia's energy monopoly in Europe.

And on a discount the West gets to remind China, that no matter the nominal size of your military, of what happens when a territory a united West cares about is threatened. China cannot be at all pleased with the now united front of what was once a shaky alliance. Thanks Vlad, Xi will have said.

Fear mongers and sensationalistss are claiming twitter won't last just as they said about Facebook when Zuckerberg made some major changes about 10 years ago.

It's not going anywhere.

Fear mongers and sensationalistss are claiming twitter won't las
That's just silly talk. Nothing dies on the internet. Heck, Fidonet that we used to run BBS boards in the 1980s is still active FidoNet

Everyone said Facebook and Twitter and would kill the likes of Myspace, Flickr and Tumblr. But nope, they're all still in biz.

What will eventually happen to Twitter is the audience growth will begin to flatten and then decline. But I expect Twitter to exist into the 2030s and beyond.

Last edited:
And the winner of the Light My Fart contest is.................................................
Concerning lighting farts, at USAFA two class of 60 roommates stuffed themselves with baked beans and just before lights out were observed in the laundry room, one of them propped up butt high having his farts lighted. "Here comes another one" ,etc, etc. A blue flame about 3 inches long could be observed with odor of burned hair. The next morning, both were in the dispensary with 2nd degree burns of the anus. They went on to fly in V.N.

Oh, oh.... I can't wait to see one captured by the AFU!

Though I'd have expected the fleet of gas-turbine powered T-80s would have first been deployed. AIUI, the T-80 has not seen use in Ukraine due to its inefficient and maintenance heavy gas turbine engine. Is the T-14's gas turbine going to be any better?

And now for some Cancon. The Ukrainian refugees building these armoured cars are inspiring.

Last edited:
Fear mongers and sensationalistss are claiming twitter won't last just as they said about Facebook when Zuckerberg made some major changes about 10 years ago.

It's not going anywhere.

Off Topic: Actually I really hope it'll die. Twitter is the poison of today's society (not the only one, though).

Oh, oh.... I can't wait to see one captured by the AFU!

Though I'd have expected the fleet of gas-turbine powered T-80s would have first been deployed. AIUI, the T-80 has not seen use in Ukraine due to its inefficient and maintenance heavy gas turbine engine. Is the T-14's gas turbine going to be any better?

And now for some Cancon.

I'm afraid no T-14 will be ever captured. They will break down before reaching the front.

That's just silly talk. Nothing dies on the internet. Heck, Fidonet that we used to run BBS boards in the 1980s is still active FidoNet

Everyone said Facebook and Twitter and would kill the likes of Myspace, Flickr and Tumblr. But nope, they're all still in biz.

What will eventually happen to Twitter is the audience growth will begin to flatten and then decline. But I expect Twitter to exist into the 2030s and beyond.

'Fraid I disagree ("What a shock!" I hear you say?). :)

The scenario you describe only covers commercial competition. The problem for Twitter is that Musk is actively hollowing it out from the inside. He's laid off, what, half of the staff? And many of the remaining half are quitting because of Musk's heavy-handed "leadership."

There's an irreducible minimum staffing required to maintain software....particularly code that's as widely used as Twitter: developers to keep software and libraries updated; dev-ops teams to keep automated software deployment tools functioning; test teams to ensure new software builds meet requirements without excessive failures; even marketing bods to keep advertising and other revenue streams coming in.

Lose too many of these core business-critical staff, and Twitter will fall over....maybe not immediately but certainly within 6-12 months unless Musk can recruit replacements. And, let's face it, given Musk's performance over the past month, who on earth would want to work for him at Twitter? I certainly wouldn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back