Amodel 1/72 SU-1 High altitude interceptor prototype

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TimEwers

Airman 1st Class
Aug 28, 2010
Now before you bitch about the colors Amodel uses Humbrol colors and it called for hu 30 for the green maybe 117 is closer to topside green. also called for 65 for the bottom but I did not have any had 89 so I used that. The one Picture I saw online showed it did not have propeller markings so no yellow on mine. Decals are hit or miss no problems with their yak 21 but these kinda silvered a bit really silvered tho on the 302

Over all it's a nice little kit and it's my best effort to date, and I will definitely get more of their kits already looking at the wildcatfish, and the prototype fw190. And I got all of them thru Roll Models : Search

Attachments

• Picture 344.jpg
    Picture 344.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Picture 350.jpg
    Picture 350.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Picture 345.jpg
    Picture 345.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 185
  • Picture 342.jpg
    Picture 342.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 167
I agree. Good job. :)

It seems you paint your models using a brush. What kind of paints do you use , Tim ? Humbrols?

Yep with a brush as I'm in a studio apartment right now so airbrushing would be kind hard. And yes Humbrol paints. They were on sale at the time so that is why I got them. And I try using light coats but the green still streaked.

Thank you for the answer. What kind of a brush do you use? Have you applied a gloss or matt cote to the model?

I picked up a set of generic soft brushes at hobby lobby these came 7 per pack and they were 30% off so payed only a little over 5 bucks for them.

I see. Are these brushes of hairs or bristles ? The best kind of brushes are these with painting endings made of Sable or Squirrel hairs.

Hmm don't really know I'm guessing bristles don't feel like hair but I'll be heading back up there tomorrow after work since I'm closer and Ill look a bit closer at their brushes along with hopefully picking up a hack saw as well.

I see. I have noticed stripes on the model. And I have thought the brush you used for painting must have been not too soft. Humbrols have the feature of streaking when the kind of brushes is used.. . Also I have noticed that these smudges are going from the wing leading edges to trailing ones on the wing tops ( especially ). How were you applying the paint there, going from the wing leading edge to the trailing one or in another way?

Last edited:
Good stuff, man!

Mongo, never start off your accomplishments with an apology. Your work is awesome dude. Just be humbled with the criticism. That is how we all learn. Those who don't post their builds are missing a real learning experience. I posted my Hellcat with crappy white tail stripes and all. This forum is both critical and supportive at the same time. Want to see how awesome? Look at the progression B17engineer has made over the years. He's getting frickin' awesome!

So as Monty Python woould say, "Mongo. Never insult the customer."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back