Anaconda? Please tell me this is not real...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chris, it takes a brave man to stand up? in public and admit to having pillaphobia. Admission is the first step to a cure.
That being said there are a roughly 50 N American caterpillars capable of inflicting very painful stings. Stinging caterpillars bear specialized nettling or urticaceous setae or spines. These structures are hollow and contain toxins from poison-gland cells to which they are joined. These are primarily defensive structures for protection of caterpillars from predators and other enemies. The sting inflicted on humans is not from a deliberate attack by the caterpillar, but the result of contact, usually inadvertent, with toxin-bearing setae or spines. When brushed against, these structures break away, releasing toxins. In some cases, broken setae may penetrate the skin; in others, toxins spill out to spread on the surface of the skin. The most toxic is the Puss Caterpillar or more appropriately named Tree Asp. With long brownish "fur" which tapers into a tail it just begs to be picked up and petted
Reactions to contact vary and include: slight to intense nettling, stinging, itching, or burning sensations; development of dermatitis, rash, lesions, or pustules; inflammation, swelling, and numbness at or around the area of contact; fever and nausea; and, in some cases, intense pain. The type of reaction depends on the species of caterpillar, degree of contact, type of toxin, and susceptibility of the individual. Reactions may be especially severe for individuals with allergies or sensitive skin.

Attachments

• Puss_caterpillar1.jpg
    Puss_caterpillar1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 150
Ok, guess I will admit to something here and have a kumbya moment.

I am an Animal Control Officer and have been for 30+ years. I have dealt with vicious rottweilers, pitbulls even a mad 220Lb mastiff. I have run down loose buffalo and corralled a 11' albino python. I have grabbed squirrels, groundhogs, opossums and the like with my hands. Wrestled with rabid raccoons and skunks. Tusselled with loose monkeys, illegal kangaroos and wild emus. But there is one thing that takes me out - sends me into seizures so bad that ambulances are called. I can't touch them or see them or I spazz.....

caterpillars.

Its a true phobia that stems from incidents in my early childhood. I deal with and it has never uninterrupted my work. I even called a cable show called "My Extreme Phobia" a few years ago to see if I could get on. I was gonna try the Maury Povich show also as they get help for those afraid of mustard and such....like me. :) That is my story and my name is Njaco and I suffer a phobia. And now I pass the speaker's baton to the next person.

Well, everyone has something that puts the wind up them Chris.
I saw 'Psycho' when I was a lad...it scared me shitless I can tell you, To this day I will not watch any horror / psycho genre film.
My name is Readie and that's my phobia.

Next person....

Next person....

Well, my Great Aunt had a bit of a moustache and insisted on kissing us on the cheek. Yuck!
Now that I think of it, this probably dosen't really qualify. Forget I mentioned it.:oops:

Readie, I ruined a perfectly good baseball bat after I saw "Psycho". I brought it into the shower, just in case...

That snake would have to be close to a century old to get that big. And some morons with severe phobias come in to its world and kill it... Why?
I hunt, and I kill lots of things, but not wantonly, and not rare and old animals. There's a bull snake in the Cypress Hills that's 25 feet long, and about 100 years old. The local cowboys have watched her for many years without harming her in the least.

Well, my Great Aunt had a bit of a moustache and insisted on kissing us on the cheek. Yuck!
Now that I think of it, this probably dosen't really qualify. Forget I mentioned it.:oops:

Readie, I ruined a perfectly good baseball bat after I saw "Psycho". I brought it into the shower, just in case...

Psycho has a lot to answer for Nin...

The amygdala is an almond-shaped area of our brain which receives a large amount of sensory information about the environment, for example, smells, sights, sounds. In effect, the amygdala is our sentinel. A one inch long 1 gram caterpillar crawls into sight. It has no teeth, fangs, claws, talons, poison stinger, or abiity to leap for the throat. However, though totally irrational, the sentinel activates.
Unfortunately, the amygdala is part of the primitive brain and is connected directly to the spinal cord and thus responses go directly to target organs such as the heart, smooth and skeletal muscles, secretory glands, etc. Thus when the amygdale is activated we increase the heart rate, blood pressure and breathe in a jerky fashion. In addition, the pupils dilate and increases sweating, urinary and anal sphincters can relax. The amygdala has just activated the alarm. These primitive responses are what "lie detectors" look for to "detect" a lie. Being caught and its consequences trigger the amygdala.
The signals from the amygdala reach the hypothalamus, the area where corticotropic releasing hormone (HCT), triggers the release of cortisol (stress hormone). Cortisol is the substance responsible for leading the fight or flight through connections with our metabolism, since it directly influences the amount of glucose you should get the muscles.
There are connections from the amygdala that go to the cingulate cortex and other fibers that go directly into specific muscles. Such connections are what make dogs growl, cats arch their backs and tighten skin musculature causing hair to "stand up". We see similar effects in humans where the muscles of the human vocal cords tighten. So that when we fear we get a higher-pitched voice which is what voice-stress analyzers look for to detect lies.
The information is also directed toward the locus coeruleus, an area in the brainstem, which is responsible for producing norepinephrine and disperse it throughout the brain. This puts the entire brain on alert. Note that the smallness of the stimulus makes no difference. We tremble in fear.
It is important to remember that all of these connections bypass the cerebral cortex. We can not control fear. Our rational brain is outside the control loop of all these responses which occur before the rational brain is aware. The "trigger stimulus" can be made "familiar". Bullets and explosions are "triggers". Military training provides reflex coping mechanisms to these battle triggers.
Being afraid in and of itself is not bad it is inherent in all animals. It is natural and can be positive. Once alerted to the danger, the defense planning can begin helping to ensure our survival in these life or death situations. Unfortunately, one of the characteristics of fear is anxiety and this depends basically on the interrelationship between two neurotransmitters, oxytocin and vasopressin at the level of the amygdala.
When oxytocin dominates the person is calmer in situations of danger. The cerebral cortex can function and provide effective planning. As fear "triggers" become common oxytocin levels increase. Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane is not a natural act but training increases familiarity and oxytocin levels. On the other hand if more vasopressin is present it will increases anxiety and uncertainty. Ultimately, fear grips us, the body is locked in a fight or flight loop, we are paralyzed with fear, the rational brain is locked out of the loop. A horse refusing to leave a burning barn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back