AndrewR's 1/72 Revell P-51B/C - Tex Hill

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

These things happen... :)

The undercarriage doors need quite a lot of trimming to sit flush with the lower wing, they are too big alround. I've also attached the drop tanks and painted the spinner. :)

And forgotten to take photos :oops:

Cheers

Andrew

These things happen... :)
:lol:

Yesterday's efforts

Wheels up, as I lost an oleo for the Mustang! Undercarriage doors installed. They were too big and needed sanding down all the way round to fit properly.

IMG_3982R.jpg

More work completed today!

I'm also building a Revell Hurricane IIc in 1/72, so you get bonus pictures!

Dark earth (Vallejo English Uniform) on the Hurricane. It's a bit lighter than the Model Master Dark Earth, but on a faded Desert camo job, I think it looks okay in contrast to the Middle Stone.

IMG_3986R.jpg

Two coats of Neutral Grey on the Mustang. The second coat had to have a little black in it to match in with the rest of the underside.

IMG_3984R.jpg

As I did the mixing by eye, I was pleased with the result.

This is the future home of the basement lab. Walling in place ready for sanding and priming. I'm hoping to move in by early October. 8)

IMG_3976R.jpg

cheers

Andrew

Dark earth (Vallejo English Uniform) on the Hurricane. It's a bit lighter than the Model Master Dark Earth ....

Andrew, its better if a paint is a little bit lighter regarding the scale of the model. There is a difference in an appearance of models in different scales but painted with the same colour. I mean a paint of the same manufacture and the same tonality.
It is a matter of a surface size. The same dark paint looks visually different being applied on a small surface and on a bigger one. Therefore adding a few drops of a white colour to the main one is always suggested. Also the contrast of camo colours is better. If a modeller doesn't feel like mixing paints, using these ones of lighter tonality is a very good solution.

And of course a very good work on these models.:thumbright:

Last edited:
Decalfest on Saturday afternoon, while the kids were out with the grandparents and wife. :)

Very impressive decals on this kit, especially the wrap around ones on the tail, and the shark's mouth decal on the nose (which is a 1 piece jobby, and fits perfectly) :D

IMG_4042R.jpg

IMG_4040R.jpg

IMG_4039R.jpg

IMG_4038R.jpg

Very straightforward, no splitting, no wrinkling, no dramas. I wish all my decalling sessions went that well. :rolleyes:

cheers

Andrew

Neat work - and I wish all decals worked as good !

Too right about the decals, that was easily the best set I've used this year. :)

The yellow stripes are nice and opaque, so you don't see the OD underneath, but the decals themselves are thin and easy to apply. Great stuff. It didn't say on the sheet where they were printed...

Olive drab and a sharkmouth decal for the basement???? lol

According to higher authority ( :) ) the basement will be painted in Hepplewhite Ivory and the woodwork in Cloud White when it's finished 8)

The P51-B got a lot of silver paint on it in various places tonight. It now looks more battered than a piece of cod in a chip shop...

IMG_4043R.jpg

The loop aerial is on.

IMG_4044R.jpg

The exhausts are on

IMG_4046R.jpg

The prop blades are on the spinner. Why do they keep making separate blades? :?: Is it just to up the part count? Or to torment modellers :evil:

IMG_4047R.jpg

A flat varnish spray, if the weather holds up tomorrow...

cheers

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back