Another Academy P-47 Thunderbolt 1/72 "Chief of the Sioux"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
Ok, I better slow down before my wife takes away my hobby LOL. This is my 3rd 1/72 P-47 from Academy and my first attempt at NMF.

Due to my ignorance of NMF I decided to go with regular Testor's silver, but my next attempt at NMF will be done with more research first and different paint.

The part I really battled with was how to finish it, and decided to go with Micro Satin. As with my other kits, there is no weathering or wear.

The decals gave me some trouble, especially the Chief's head, but with some Xacto cuts and Micro Sol, I think it ended up satisfactory.

Thank you,

Jon

Attachments

• P47 July 1.jpg
    P47 July 1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 164
  • P47 July 3.jpg
    P47 July 3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 172
  • P47 July 2.jpg
    P47 July 2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
One side note that I noticed too late was that I believe the antenna should have been moved back to allow the canopy to open. I noticed this with my "Eileen" jug as well and forgot to move it again.

That looks GREAT, Jon! I would never guess it was plain ol Testors silver if you hadn't said. Outstanding work!

Neat job Jon. Only thing I can see that's out a bit is the yellow prop tips are too large, engine cowling interior I think should be aluminium for the Bubbletop versions. Finish and decals are very good.

Cheers

Peter

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

I took some pictures outside this morning and removed the indoor ones I took last night, thanks for the suggestion Juergen.

Peter, thank you for the feedback, I think I'll be able to modify the prop tips, but am not sure I can get to the cowling color.

Jon

Last edited:
I may just give up 1/48th kits and take up 1/72 Academy kits. This really looks nice! You may say first attempt at natural metal finish, but your work says old hand. Well Done!

P.S. Just kidding about the 1/72. I can't even SEE models that small.

Nice work...it looks really good!

I haven't done a NMF bird yet, and your Jug just gave me the inspiration I need. If I may make a suggestion, I have found that Floquil Old Silver makes for a very convincing shiny aluminum. I've used it for wheel wells and gear legs.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back