Another Wannabe Hero

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Every ribbon on my old uniform is on my DD-214 except for the one that I received after I was discharged. But I have the commander orders for that medal with the citation. To wear anything else would be unconscionable to me.

Same here as well. Things like what this thread are about are absolutely distasteful. It puts a very bad sour taste in my mouth...

In my opinion, having served in the military is honorable enough, there is no reason to pretend to have done more like these Gentlemen described in this thread.

On a side note:

To all veterans and former service members, you can now get your DD-214 online as well. This may come in handy if you have lost yours or there was a fire. (I keep mine in a fireproof safe and I have multiple copies).

I will post the link tomorrow. I have it in my govt. email account which I can only access at work.

Unfortunately, I was quite burned out when my enlistment ended, and got rid of 98% of my uniform stuff. I have a ballcap or two, a belt buckle, and a couple of other odds-n-ends, but that's about it. I even cut up my inactive reserve ID after my 2 year inactive status was over. It wasn't until recently that I was able to slap a submarine qual decal on my truck. Once I get these dang bills under control (most are paid off now, thankfully....being out of debt is SUCH an awesome thing!), I'll start lookin at gettin a uniform back in order again. Gotta love those Army-Navy stores!

Although....if the weather keeps stickin around in the 30s and 40s, I may have to see if they have a peacoat in my size....

I kept just about everything. I have my Dress Blues and Class A's still hanging in my closet, one of my flight suits hanging on the door behind me in my computer room, my flight helmet sitting on the shelf next to me...

Last edited:
I just found an interesting website, that exposes frauds. People that say they are POWs, Rangers, Speical Forces, Seals, or fought in certain conflicts, or say they are veterans period.

Very interesting the number of people that have been caught. They are catching them all the time. I think website is very honorable. Apparantly they have access to military records and can prove someones service and have many sources to help do so.

P.O.W. Network's Phonies Index

What is amazing is how many people have been exposed through that site. Some of them end up with legal action. Another good reason to not be a phonie...

Yep, I agree. There was a article in the News Paper here in charleston about people claiming how they are the Medal of Honor winners, and they wear the Medal. The paper said that the FBI has a division dedicated to locating these people, and that they track them down and put legal actions against them.

Yep, I agree. There was a article in the News Paper here in charleston about people claiming how they are the Medal of Honor winners, and they wear the Medal. The paper said that the FBI has a division dedicated to locating these people, and that they track them down and put legal actions against them.

I agree, those that lie about the medal of honor should be persecuted.

Yep, I found an article about it:
Medal of Honor - Legal protection

The Medal of Honor
is the only service decoration that cannot be privately bought, traded, or sold. All Medals of Honor are issued in the original only, by the Department of Defense, to a recipient. Misuse of the medal, including unauthorized manufacture or wear, is punishable by fine and imprisonment pursuant to 18USC704(b).

After the Army redesigned their medal in 1903, a patent was issued (United States Patent #D37,236) to legally prevent others from making the medal. When the patent expired, the Federal government enacted a law making it illegal to produce, wear, or distribute the Medal of Honor without proper authority.

Violators of this law have been prosecuted. In 2003, two persons, Edward and Gisela Fedora, were charged with violating 18USC704(b) - Unlawful Sale of a Medal of Honor. They sold medals awarded to US Navy Seaman Robert Blume (for action during the Spanish-American War) and to US Army First Sergeant George Washington Roosevelt (for action during the Civil War) to an FBI agent.

Medal of Honor - Medal of Honor Imposters

Although it is illegal to wear the Medal of Honor without authorization, one can still claim to be a recipient, unless such a claim is made with the intent of securing veteran benefits. A large number of veteran organizations and private companies devote themselves to exposing those who falsely claim entitlement to the Medal of Honor. See [2], [3] and [4].

Legislation has been proposed to sanction those who falsely represent themselves to be Medal of Honor recipients.
Medal of Honor: Encyclopedia II - Medal of Honor - Legal protection

That's true.

Here is another wannabe:
A California man faces a federal trial in January because of what he allegedly wore to his 20th high school reunion earlier this year -- a U.S. Marine uniform decorated with some of the nation's highest military medals.

Steve Burton, 39, never served in any branch of the U.S. military, but he was seen and photographed several times wearing a Marine uniform and various medals, including the Navy Cross, the highest medal awarded exclusively by the U.S. Navy, federal investigators said.

More here:
Civilian pleads not guilty to wearing Navy medals - CNN.com

I'm with Eric. My ribbons and medals are in a box in the top drawer of my bureau, where they have been for almost thirty-nine years. My wife keeps telling me I need to have a display case made [or purchased] for them but I never seem to get a round tuit
Your wife's right Charles
get them done, you've every right to display them and be proud of them.
I hesitated too (though not for thirty-nine years) :) but I'm glad I eventually got them done.

Been 21 years for me. They are loose in a display case with my airplane models and other memorabilia. My wife has prodded me to do the same, but I am like Charles, and haven't gotten around to it either.
No excuse young man, get them sorted :)

Mr. C you should do as your wife suggests. Modesty should not get in the way of your contributions to our nation's freedom. And frankly, whether you might wish to display them or not, you should have them done up properly so your family has that option in the future. They might not know the proper display nor their significance.

I had a Marine Gunny (Sherman tank commander) who lived across the street give me all his medals from Korea when I was a kid after he had a few beers (not uncommon when he was tinkering with his old Jaguar). I was 9. I kept them on their board in a old clean pickle jar. I would take them out often and dream of how they were earned and marvel at their colors/designs. I found him many states away when I was 22 after tracking him down. I returned all his medals, globe and anchor and piss-cutter after a very tearful phone conversation. I suspect that his family was likely more grateful than he was.

Last edited:
Evangilder, would it be rude if I asked what medals you were awarded? I'm just curious.

No problem. I was awarded
aftrain.jpg

1. Basic Training Ribbon, now called the Air Force Training Ribbon (Means you graduated basic, kinda hard to not get that one).
The Air Force Training Ribbon is awarded to airmen who graduate from Air Force basic training after August 14, 1974.
usafgdcon.jpg

2. Good Conduct Medal (Awarded for three years of keeping your nose clean)
It is awarded to Air Force enlisted personnel for exemplary conduct during a three-year period of active military service, (or for a one-year period of service during a time of war). Persons awarded this medal must have had character and efficiency ratings of excellent or higher throughout the qualifying period, including time spent in attendance at service schools, and there must have been no convictions of court martial during this period.
afoversea.jpg

3. Overseas Long Tour Ribbon (For 2+ years of an overseas tour)
Before January 6, 1986, the ribbon was awarded to Air Force and Air Force Reserve members credited with completion of an overseas tour on or after September 1, 1980.
usafout.jpg

4. USAF Outstanding Unit Award Ribbon (Mainly for squadron participation supporting Operation El Dorado Canyon, and NATO Tactical Evaluations)
It is awarded by the Secretary of the Air Force to numbered units which have distinguished themselves by exceptionally meritorious service or outstanding achievement that clearly sets the unit above and apart from similar units, the services include; performance of exceptionally meritorious service, accomplishment of a specific outstanding achievement of national or international significance, combat operations against an armed enemy of the United States, or military operations involving conflict with or exposure to hostile actions by an opposing foreign force.
105px-Navy_Meritorious_Unit_Commendation_ribbon.svg.png

5. Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation Medal (Awarded by then Secretary of the Navy Lehman for participation in Operation El Dorado Canyon).
The Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation was established by order of the Secretary of the Navy on July 17, 1967. It is awarded in the name of the Secretary of the Navy to units of both the U.S. Navy and United States Marines. To justify this award, the unit must have performed service of a character comparable to that which would merit the award of a Bronze Star Medal, or achievement of like caliber in a non-combat situation, to an individual.
afach.jpg

6. Air Force Achievement Medal (Received after I was discharged)
The Air Force Achievement Medal may be awarded to members of the Armed Forces of the United States (and to foreign military personnel) below the grade of colonel who, while serving in any capacity with the Air Force distinguish themselves by outstanding achievement or meritorious service but not to the extent that would warrant the award of a Commendation Medal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back