Another Wannabe Hero

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Your wife's right Charles
get them done, you've every right to display them and be proud of them.
I hesitated too (though not for thirty-nine years) :) but I'm glad I eventually got them done.

All of mine are still on my Class As and Dress Blues, but I really want to make a shadow box on the wall as well for all my ribbons/medals, my wings, etc.

I think that any service member should be proud of anything they were awarded and display them.

Check out all these dumb ass's right here! You actually have to read what is said in the print. Pretty funny!

CAN ANYONE ID

The group that has the most imposters by far are Navy SEALs. Fortunately, they are the easiest to expose due to a database created by the US Naval Special Warfare Archives. The name of every man who has ever been a SEAL is contained in the database. There are no secret SEALs, it is not classified information that someone was, or is, a SEAL. If his name does not appear on the database, he was not a SEAL. The database has been proven accurate many times over by the US Navy. It is maintained by a group of former and active duty SEALs.

Last edited:
I wear my grandfathers medals to our Anzac day memorial services each year, but on the right side of my suit, which signifies that I did not earn the awards myself.

I wear my grandfathers medals to our Anzac day memorial services each year, but on the right side of my suit, which signifies that I did not earn the awards myself.

I do not think that is a bad thing either. You are paying homage and respect to the man. Nothing wrong with that...

Agreed with Adler and EG, Parsifal. The difference is that you openly acknowledge that they are not your medals, that you did not earn them, and that you are wearing them with respects to your grandfather. That, my friend, is honorable and respectful and a tribute to him and his sacrifices. What these other idiots are doing is lying, disrespecting those who are/have served, and basically spitting on everything these men and women are trying to protect. There's freedom of speech, and then there's blatant disrespect. I don't claim to speak for everyone on this board, but I suspect that the vast majority would encourage you to continue wearing them for your grandfather.

A bit off topic, but I thought I would share anyway. My grandfather was a Gallipoli vet, joined in 1914, and fought all the way through to 1918. Was a cavalryman in the 7th Light Horse, was in the charge at Beersheeba, and in the entry into Damascus in 1918.

He was the only survivor of the 1914 entry in his regiment to survive in one piece. He was the best horseman I ever knew. But he never celebrated Anzac Day, never went on any of the marches, hardly ever spoke about his experiences. He hated being called a war hero. When I told him I wanted to join the Navy, I could tell he wasnt happy, though he did not say much.

Post Traumatic stress syndrome is what killed him in the finish....he suffered a total nervous collapse, just used to sit there and stare into nothing. I was 17 and could not bring myself to to talk to him. They tried to treat with shock therapy, but he had a strke and died as a result.

My grandad was not a war hero, just a guy who did his duty and paid a big price for that.....

My wife is Russian and I met her grandfather before he died. He was a Russian Siberian , fought the Germans in front of Moscow, and of course survived the war. He gave his medals to my wife, and she gave them to me, because she knows I am into that sort of stuff. I found my grandfather in law was remarkably similar , and yet politically opposite to my own grandfather....he did not hate nay of his former enemies, but used to get very upset on their May Day services. Did not want to talk about his experiences in the war, but like my grandfather had a certain strength of character which I admired a great deal

Finally, my stepfather was German, fought in WWII, including Stalingrad, was decorated with an Iron Cross no less. Was the most honest German I have ever known. Did not pull any punches about what he thought of the wear, and all its horror. But did not talk much about it, and thought so little of his wartime experiences that he sold his medals just after the war.

All these men come from the opposite ends of the triangle politically, but they sahre a comon bond in their different experiences. When I hear of people fabricating their wartime records, I dont get mad, or want to say too much, but I just know that those uunexplainable qualities that were so present in my stepfathers and grandfathers, suffers a little erosion. All those men stood for decency and courage, and the people that BS their way into parades are none of those things

When I hear of people fabricating their wartime records, I dont get mad, or want to say too much, but I just know that those uunexplainable qualities that were so present in my stepfathers and grandfathers, suffers a little erosion. All those men stood for decency and courage, and the people that BS their way into parades are none of those things

Could not have said it any better...

Well
at last ours has been named and shamed...

Attachments

• fake medal man.jpg
    fake medal man.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back