Antoine Gazda's Two-Man Sub Chasing "Sea Skimmer"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
model this...

Antoine Gazda's Two-Man Sub Chasing Sea Skimmer.JPG

Thats what i thought too... would make a great model though.

Strange but not stupid

The Indiana Gazette from Indiana, Pennsylvania · Page 16

This is 50-Mile-An-Hour "Sea Skimmer" To Chase Axis U-Boats. The odd-looking craft pictured above was recently designed as a new weapon against the Axis submarines. Its inventor, Antoine Gazda, calls it the "Sea Skimmer," Which aptly describes the way it rides the waves. It is shown during a recent trial run at Providence R. I. The "hull" is mounted on a catamaran base, similar to those used by ocean resort lifeguards for riding through the surf. This construction, its sponsors say, enables easy handling on rough water. The "Sea Skimmer" carries a two-man crew, who, in addition to operating it, man the guns, which not only serves as protection against air raiders, but can be turned against a surfaced sub. These are a machine gun and a 20-mm. Oerlikon cannon, (seen at bow) which was also invented by Gazda. For attacking submerged U-boats, the "Sea Skimmer" carries four depth charges, which rest on the catamaran floats under the hull's stern. These can be replaced by torpedoes. The craft is said to reach a 50-mile-an-hour speed under the drive of its airplane-propelled engine. Elimination of subsurface screw propulsion, it is pointed out, also protects it from detection by an enemy ship's sound-detection gear. Except for the propeller and engine, the Sea Skimmer is built entirely of non-strategic plywood plastic, and can easily be molded out in large numbers. Very light, the new sub-chaser can be hoisted aboard and carried on regular surface craft as easily as can a lifeboat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange but not stupid

The Indiana Gazette from Indiana, Pennsylvania · Page 16

is 50-Mile-An-Hour "Sea Skimmer" To Chase Axis U-Boats Designed Truth About Rubber ,"l ......,,.,1,4.., — ;_,•:•.. • Babson Bullish on Rubber Securities GLOUCESTER, Mass., Oct. Ifl.— I am' just returning from a trip'. Reports gathered from high sour ces confirm what 1 believed, namely, as always the Baruch •The odd-looking craft pictured BbOve was recently designed as a hew weapon against the Axis submarines. Hts inventor, Antoine Gazda, calls it the "Sea Skimmer," Which aptly describes the way it rides the waves. It is shown during a recent trial run at Providencer R. I. The "hull" is mounted on a catamaran base, similar to those USed by ocean resort lifeguards for riding through the surf. This con- Btruction, its sponsors say, enables easy handling nir ough water. The "Sea Skimmer" carries.a two-man ifew, who, in addition to operating it, man the guns, which not only serves as protection against air raiders, but can be turned against a surfaced sub. These are a machine gun and a 20-mm. Oerlikon cannon, (seen at bow) which was also invented by Gazda. For attacking submerged U-boats, the "Sea Skimmer" carries four depth charges, which rest on the cate- maran floats under the hull's stern. These can be replaced by torpedoes. The craft is said to reach a 50-mile-an-hour speed under the drive of its airplane-propelled en gine. Elimination of subsurface screw propulsion, it is pointed out, also protects it from detection by STEINER'S MARKET 659 PHILA STREET NEXT TO MURPHY'S Week-End Specials sPORK CHOPS '"Me PORK ROAST S Ib 33e PORK SAUSAGE L °° se lb 35e WEINERS BOLOGNA PUDDING lb. 25c an enemy ship's sound-detection gear. Except for the propeller and engine, the Sea Skimmer is built entirely of non-trategic plywqpd plastic, and can easily be molded out in large numbers. Very light, the new sub-chaser can be hoisted aboard and carried on regular surface craft as easily as can a lifeboat.

If you don't mind, I can clean this up.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back