Any F1 fans?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1956 German Grand Prix- Nurburgring. Peter Collins, Manuel Fangio ,& Stirling Moss.

Castor Oil aa.jpg

Jackie Stewart gave up F1 because he was sick of attending funerals. He said, only a fool could believe his number wouldnt come up eventually. He resolved to retire after his hundredth race. At his hundredth race, his team mate Francois Cevert was killed in practice for the 1973 US GP at Watkins Glen he retired as a driver on 99 races and his last team duty was his former team mates funeral. He was always an advocate for improving safety and in retirement pushed it more and more. There are many young men in F1 and all other motorsports owe their lives to him, he was recently prevented getting near the "celebrities" on the grid in Miami which says everything about the modern world Sir Jackie Stewart hilariously responds to Miami GP grid security manhandling

Last edited:
Why I stopped watching F1....
Ronnie Peterson, Monza, 1978....
The greatest driver never to win the Drivers Championship they say!
That would be Stirling Moss, and by several country miles.

But F1 is only a small part of the motorsport pantheon, so lack of an F1 title means little. Many of the greatest drivers never raced in F1 at all (most recent examples being Tom Kristensen and Sébastien Loeb; further back Bob Wollek, Richard Petty etc), and many others who made little impact on F1 would still rank among the greatest (Vic Elford, Brian Redman, Mark Donohue, Bernd Schneider, Henri Toivonen and many more).

So, Valteri Botas is channeling his inner Mansel.

Attachments

• 193FD3CC-0DF7-4ADA-8B35-D1609D57A38A.jpeg
    193FD3CC-0DF7-4ADA-8B35-D1609D57A38A.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 8A320EEE-3131-452E-90AF-DB31E8BD887C.jpeg
    8A320EEE-3131-452E-90AF-DB31E8BD887C.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 8
I cut my F1 teeth on the rivalry between Prost and Senna. I was flipping out watching Senna as I had watched those races when they played on a nascent ESPN.

I almost had my wife talked into naming our son Ayrton, but not finding a meaning to the name, settled on Thor Axblood-Skullsplitter.

I cut my F1 teeth on the rivalry between Prost and Senna. I was flipping out watching Senna as I had watched those races when they played on a nascent ESPN.

I almost had my wife talked into naming our son Ayrton, but not finding a meaning to the name, settled on Thor Axblood-Skullsplitter.
I watched a number of those races first-hand: '80s turbo cars caught fire a lot! My first GP was Silverstone 1985, and aside from being told to watch this youngster Senna (my learned colleague advised me,"he's going to be good"), we were probably more impressed by a fellow up-and-coming lad called Stefan Bellof. He was really very, very good, and should have gone on to achieve greatness.

Maybe five years later we met a young lad called Michael Schumacher at a sportscar race (I still have my autographed programme), and now that I was the expert, I informed my wife, "he's going to be good". He was, but we didn't see him again after he stopped racing proper cars.

I had a couple of opportunities to meet Senna in-person on pit visits, but both times I was more interested in looking at the latest Brabham. But they say you should never meet your heroes, so maybe it was a good thing I didn't. I haven't been a fan of F1 since I saw the light with Group C, but in my opinion there hasn't been anyone in F1 since who comes close to that almost god-like presence of Senna. I'd put him in the top 3 of all time, along with Moss and Nuvolari.

Group C, eh?
Is that those that disappeared in....🤨🤔....'92 or something?

I can watch this for a good while!

HistoricTransAm-lg.jpg

The "young team" can say what they want, I don't think that today's drivers will achieve the same legendary status, as the drivers of old like Hill, Clark, Nuvolari, Fangio, Foyt.....

Graham_Hill_Bestanddeelnr_924-6564.jpg

Graham Hill is the only driver to have achieved the Triple Crown of Motorsport....

Group C, eh?
Is that those that disappeared in....🤨🤔....'92 or something?

I can watch this for a good while!

View attachment 723477

The "young team" can say what they want, I don't think that today's drivers will achieve the same legendary status, as the drivers of old like Hill, Clark, Nuvolari, Fangio, Foyt.....

View attachment 723478
Graham Hill is the only driver to have achieved the Triple Crown of Motorsport....
Graham Hills son Damon was one of few to be top class on two wheels and four. He won a British championship on motorcycles at Brands Hatch before switching to cars. His elbow hit mine as he passed me down through Craner Curves in practice at Donnington Park, Damon in his early days
666_4damonhill.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back