Arbeit Macht Frei sign stolen from Auschwitz

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In response to a lot of the comments on Colin's link: the camp (and the sign) stand not as a memorial to Nazism, or as a nice war memorial...they stand as a reminder of what mankind can do to mankind if allowed, and as a charge to future generations to stay on guard and never let this happen again, in any form, in any country. The fact that someone would take the time to research, plan, and execute this heist (I don't believe it was a drunken driveby double-dog-dare....but I've been wrong before!) should prove that we're allowing our future generations forget this lesson. The implications of this make me very nervous indeed.

Thanks for the correct pronunciation of Arbeit.

The more I think about this, the more I'm absolutely dis-gusted with it. So if they don't find it, would they make another to replace it? If they did, it just wouldn't seem right. In fact, I'm getting down right pissed off that a part of history that we hold so dear to us has been vandolized.

I'm not buying the 'thieves didn't know where they were' story, it sounds pre-meditated and planned, given the time of night and the specific nature of the item.

Is it clear from the ground that it unscrews, if so, where, how many screws and how big? ... little bit of recon went into this job methinks...

I'll wager it's adorning the HQ of some neo-Nazi organisation who sees it as a rallying point for right-wing discontent.

Exactly. How many bolts would it take to get that thing off? surely someone woulda heard something

If welded a hacksaw or angle grinder must of been heard??? surely

wtf

Now can't they show some respect for the millions who died there? The local police should give them a good whacking or two.

Disgraceful. Utterly disgraceful. :mad:

WHO would want a sign like that, with all that it represents, hanging around the house? :shock: This is just....I don't know, I'm lost for words! :evil:

It's a combination of sick, weird, nutty and stupid. Equal parts.

One thing is sure, whomever did it better have a fantastic plan or they are right now getting the feeling they screwed up royally.

WHO would want a sign like that, with all that it represents, hanging around the house? :shock: This is just....I don't know, I'm lost for words! :evil:

As a serious historical Third Reich collector here, I could understand wanting something like that. I too would not mind having it, from a purely historical point of view.

That being said, I would never take it. It is disrespectful.

I could never steal anything like that, even if waving $$$$ under my nose or whatever... Mind you, I'm that kinda person, that couldn't even set my foot in any of these places, walk through those gates, because of what went on there....my mind and nerves wouldn't be able to handle it....

Stealing anything from a place like that is both malicious and intentional and took alot of planning. And how did they get it away from there, a bunch of guys running down the street?

There is no need, no matter the excuse, for any icon or artifact from such an evil place...

I hope that whoever stole that sign gets visited by all the miserable, tortured souls that perished there...all at once...

WHAT!? :shock:

Great news that they found them and the sign.... As said before, may they be visited by all those restless souls at once!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back