Aug 29,1944 - program of the 65th anniversary commemration

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seesul

Senior Master Sergeant
This is just to inform you we haven´t forgotten the sacrifice of the US flyboys over our country:

Friday, Aug 28, 2009

04.00 - 05.00 pm - Sanov (B-17G, 42-38096), laying the wreaths at the crash site
05.30 - 07.00 pm - museum in Sanov

Saturday, Aug 29, 2009

11.00 - 12.00 am - museum in Slavicin, incl. the presentation of the DVD 'Gray Eagles'
12.00 - 01.30 pm - lunch
01.30 - 02.00 pm - laying the wreaths at the mass grave of 28 American fliers at Slavicin cemetery
03.00 - 03.30 pm - unveiling of the memorial plaque in Preckovice
04.00 pm - Rudice (B-17G, 42-97159), laying the wreaths at the Joe Marinello's and Russell Meyrick's grave, holy mess at Meyrick´s tree, discussion with the local people

Sunday, Aug 30, 2009
09.30 - 10.30 am - holy mess in Bojkovice
11.00 - 12.00 am - Vyskovec (B-17G, 42-31885), laying the wreaths at the crash site
12.30 - 01.30 pm - lunch in Bojkovice
02.00 - 03.30 pm - Krhov (B-17G, 42-32048 ), laying the wreaths at the crash site
04.00 - 06.30 pm - discussion with the local people in Bojkovice, Silver Bracelet Story ( http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/2nd-lt-james-weiler-story-silver-bracelet-13501.html )

Foreign guests:

1) Nic Mevoli - confirmed
Nic Mevoli is Joe Owsianik´s grandson.

2) Todd Weiler- confirmed
Todd is an nephew of Jimmy Weiler, 1st pilot of the B-17G, 42-32048. Jimmy was KIA. Todd is an elected historian of 2ndBG vets assn.

3) Donna Conway + husband - not confirmed yet
Mrs. Donna Conway is a newly elected co-historian of 2nd BG vets assn.

4) Kelly Charles Meyrick + 2 kids
- confirmed
Kelly Charles great uncle Russell Meyrick (bombardier) was KIA aboard of B-17G, 42-97159.
Kelly is a meber of this forum with nickname KMEYRICK

5) Mike Meyrick - confirmed
Mr. Meyrick is father of Kelly Charles, Russel Meyrick was his uncle

6) Roy + Fern Wagner - confirmed
Mrs.Fern Wagner is a sister of Joe Sallings, a left waist gunner who bailed out from B-17G, 42-97159. Joe lived till the end of the war at Pesat family in a small village Preckovice, 2 miles away from the crash site.

7) Terry Fox (Airframes) + Karl Rochford (Rochie)- confirmed
My British fellows from Aircraft of World War II forum.

With regret I have to inform you that Joe Owsianik, my friend and one of the mission 263 survivors, will not attend the commemoration. As I was informed by his grandson, Nic Mevoli, Joe was hospitalized 3 weeks ago due to health problems. Although he´s doing better now he will stay at home this August. I fully understand his decision but I´ll be missing him at the commemoration. He was supposed to be the only veteran of the mission 263 attending this commemoration.
This way I want to thank Joe for his previous visits in 2005 and 2007 and wish him a soon recovery and I hope to see him next year again.
GET WELL SOON JERSEY JOE!
I´m in touch with Joe´s grandson Nic Mevoli and it seems that Nic will visit us as a Joe´s substite and messenger.

I´ll post pics after the commemoration. For those who don´t know anything about the battle and the past comemmorations, here are few links:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/b-17s-took-beating-11209-2.html
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/stories/1st-lt-bill-tune-2nd-bg-20th-sqdn-passed-away-15582.html
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/ot...lyer-s-microphone-1944-found-woods-12379.html
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/b-17-snafuperman-5474.html
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/willi-reschke-s-g-august-29th-1944-a-9055.html
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/av...joe-owsianik-meeting-after-63-years-9298.html
We haven´t forgot- commemoration of Aug. 29th, 1944

Last edited:
any of you guys ever get the chance to hook up with Roman, do so ! hopeful over the enxt couple years Kath and I will make the trip to see this fantastic museum for ourselves

E ~

Really impressive. Especially because that history is not taught in the US anymore.

Thanks to everyone in your end of the world for the Rememberence, Roman. Very good of them.

Hi Les, don´t be afraid, I´ll post them and Terry and Karl as well.
But...there was no time for the forum. I was in Slavicin since 10 days ago. Yesterday I brought Meyricks and Conways to Prague and get back to Slavicin at almost 5 pm. Found Terry and Karl drinking the best beer in the world in the pub at the hotel. Said them (sadly) good bay, then picked up a grandson of my friend Joe, brought him to my parents just to say good bye, then back to Zlin (where I live today), then with him to the railway station. Today I was with my son in the school (his first school day) and stil don´t know what can I expect at work tomorrow...
Don´t worry, I´ll post it.
I´m really envious at Terry and Karl- they are still drinking a beer in my born town waiting for their tomorrow´s flight back home...

Last edited:
well hopeful that Terry and Karl got an ear/eyeful of historical information I know I have revisiting sites in your area through your extensive emails and pics plus looking through the JG 300 volume 1 and my own personal data on that fateful date.

keep up the good work and one day K and I will gt over there for a time and some good food with you and your Familie.

ok lets see the ugly mugs of everyone ........ :D

Well, the photos and the written words don't do it justice. You have to visit in person.

This was a truly moving experience for my family- and we are forever in debted to Roman and the townsfolk for everything they have done.

We will be back. That is a promise. And we will bring more Meyrick's next time.:lol:

Let's see what photos I can get up. (might take me a bit, I've never uploaded photos on this site before so excuse the first few tries if it doesn't go well)

OK- let's try this one

Wine at 10 am.

Attachments

• DSC_0014 Comp.JPG
    DSC_0014 Comp.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Yeah I did it.

so here are a few more- then I'm off to bed. Very tired tonight after that long flight!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0046 comp.JPG
    DSC_0046 comp.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0210 comp.JPG
    DSC_0210 comp.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0230 comp.JPG
    DSC_0230 comp.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0250 comp.JPG
    DSC_0250 comp.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_0262 comp.JPG
    DSC_0262 comp.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC_0273 comp.JPG
    DSC_0273 comp.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 192
Thank you Kelly and all your family. What an unforgeteable experience for me and my friends!
Will post some pics this weekend as I got no time sooner- Tommy started to go to the school so a lot of things to do now:)
I´m glad you got back safe home.
There´ s a thread The Best Beer In The World on this forum so I guess you got something to say there as well now :)

my gosh Roman in a suit ? yikes ....

just kidding friend, looked like a very special time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back