B-17 Interior Colour

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Paul1978

Recruit
May 13, 2011
Moscow
Evening all!

I've got a Revell B-17F Memphis Belle to build. I'm a bit worried after having read some negative views on the model. So i'll have some hard work ahead of me. Anyway, i was wondering if someone could tell me what the interior colour of the B-17 was.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

:signthanks:

If it's the 1/48th scale kit, then it's a simplified version of their 'G' model, with he necessary changes, and not too bad at all. A bit sparse on interior detail, but easy to sort out, especially as not that much can bee seen inside.
The 'F' had light olive green sound-proof padding on the nose compartment bulkhead, and partly lined side walls, and on the cockpit walls. At this stage, the rest of the interior was basically Interior Green. Cockpit seat-back cushions were yellow, with the words 'US ARMY' on black. Instrument panel black, throttle pedestal Interior Green or Bronze Green.

Thanks for that and much appreciated. I've just been looking on the net and the interior green does differ between British and American planes somewhat. I'll lighten it up a bit though because Future can dull down the tone a little.

As for the kit, i opened it earlier and started on the wings. It's my first Revell model because i usually do Tamiya and Hasegawa. The plastic seems a little more brittle but otherwise the detail is pretty good. I'll post some pics when i've made some progress.

Again, many thanks

Paul

First Color is US Interior Green

The Second one is the RAF Interior Green.

Attachments

• US.gif
    US.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 400
  • British.gif
    British.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 349
Yep, totally different. The RAF being a light green/grey. I normally mix (US) Interior Green from Humbrol Dark Green No.30 and yellow, with a slight semi-matt sheen.
BTW, the chips posted by Harrison might not show the true colours on the monitor, best looking at actual pics.

Yes, they were left as produced. Paul had stated that he'd found the British and US colours different, so Harrison posted the colour chips. American aircraft in British service remained with their original interior colours, although some, such as C47s, were re-painted post WW2 in the then 'current' British colours', but this was much later.

Yep, totally different. The RAF being a light green/grey. I normally mix (US) Interior Green from Humbrol Dark Green No.30 and yellow, with a slight semi-matt sheen.
BTW, the chips posted by Harrison might not show the true colours on the monitor, best looking at actual pics.

Yep Interior Green seems to be lighter in real life than on the screen.

When it comes to the interior color of USAAF aircraft, keep in mind that the paint was produced mainly for it's corrosion resisitant property. The pigments used varied greatly from one manufacturer to another. Google interior colors for WW II US A/C and you will see a WIDE variety of colors from very yellow to very green.

Good point, Hawkeye. I seen a variety of colors on aircraft interiors over the years in vintage aircraft, restored, and unrestored. Plus they all seem to fade differently depending on the conditions that they are exposed to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back