B-25G "Shark Mouth"; 1/48, Academy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Feliz año amigos míos

Thank you very much for your compliments, my dear Brian, Kirby and Darryl.
Sometimes I wake up and I think it is too long in a single project, ... and start others, I would only slow it down, ... I do not have (for now) the time I wanted to devote to this that I love, but,. .. I promise not to do this so often in future projects.
At the end, a good result justifies what was suffered in the process, ... that, the learning and the pleasant camaraderie of the forum, make it possible.
I hope to have some new breakthrough soon to share.

Gracias

Hello everyone
It is a small advance.
Inside the right nacelle, I reinforced the join with pieces of styrene, taking into account that the front part was more weakened with the panels that I removed to show the interior ...

More or less like that inner part will look (there are still small details to add to that section) ...

In the upper front of the engines there are two hydraulic cables that I added with copper wires of different calibers and a small "clamp" made with the rubber lining of a wire ...

The walls of the exhaust pipe hoods were filed, to make them more in line with the scale. You can see the difference in thickness with those of the cowling on the right.

I decided to apply a layer of primer on the pieces that I will proceed to paint, ... as I have done on other occasions using the dilution of Mr.Surfacer 1200 and isopropyl alcohol at 50% and 50%

It was when two situations arose that I want to consult with you my knowledgeable colleagues.

1.- The application of the primer layer, I had to do it twice, because it was not enough with what I calculated the first time (very little was missing and I left the interior of the cowlings and the nacelle pending); but when doing the dilution of the second load, I did not manage to mix the two substances !!, like water and oil !!, I had to do a deep cleaning to the airbrush, because a "gray lumpy paste" was formed immersed in crystalline alcohol.
Question: what could have happened?

2.- In the rush to clean my airbrush conscientiously, when I finished, I went to attend other things at home and visits from friends, while I let cure the primer in the painted pieces. (This was two days ago). Early today, as I approached my desk, I realized that I left the bottle of Mr.Surfer uncovered! ... A small crust had already been made on the surface and immediately I began to shake it with a metallic wand to mix paints, ... little by little it was retaking its consistency, but I think it did not recover its original consistency. Question: Can I do something to restore its original consistency ?; Is there a solvent that I can use to dilute it and keep it in good condition?
The current appearance is slightly thicker than Mr.Surfer 1000. I went back to cover the bottle and took the moment to upload the photos and make the consultation ...

Thanks in advance and I send greetings and wish you an excellent week.

Saludos

Last edited:
Great work Luis.
Not sure what happened with your primer - perhaps some contamination, or maybe too much thinner ?
A similar thing happened to me with some paint a few months ago, when it wouldn't spray and I added more and more thinners. it eventually 'separated' and looked like curdled milk !
It's doubtful if you'll get the primer back to how it was, as too much air has got into it, starting to 'cure' it. However, I'm not familiar with this particular product, so someone may offer some advice. If it is still 'liquid', although 'heavier' than before, it can possibly still be used for such jobs as fine filling etc.

Model's looking great Luis!

Mr Surfacer is lacquer-based (smell it!), so when I've thinned it in the past I've always used lacquer thinner. Don't know what happens if you use IPA.

Similarly, when my jar started to thicken a bit with age, I added some lacquer thinner to thin it out again.

I appreciate your comments and answers
It is likely that I have exceeded the amount of thinner, Terry, as you say the appearance was of curdled milk and surely the open jar received enough air to start "cure" it.
I have Tamiya Lacquer Thinner (the one with the yellow cap) and your advice is very interesting, Kirby. I still have 1/3 of the content of MS1200 left; except for his best opinion, I would prefer to thin only the amount needed when in a future application I requires it in density 1200; and as Terry says I can use my "new MS850".
What do you think?
For now, apply a layer of black to the parts, ... to the motors and "fire wall", a mixture of Alclad II 70:30 (steel: polished aluminum) and I will start to paint with a brush some parts and details. Soon I share the photos.
Pending your comments, I wish they all have an excellent day.

Saludos

Sounds like a plan Luis, although please note MS grading (500/1000/1200) refers to particle size not density, bigger number finer kind of like sand paper grit grading. So MS1200 will always be MS1200! But yes, what I do from my thickened pot is just remove some to a small container and add a few drops of lacquer thinner for the purpose at hand. It does evaporate quickly though so need to work relatively quickly.

... the progress until yesterday night ...
the layer of black to the pieces that will carry the mixture of the colors of Alclad II ...

... the color was not as dark as steel, nor as clear as polished aluminum, ... is not so bad ...

I could not resist the photo of a preliminary of the engines; I still need to wash with oils, the detail of the nuts in the blue part in front of the engine and improve the appearance of the exhaust pipes ...

I already have painted the interiors of the cowlings, the right nacelle, the wall of fire, and other pieces of those interiors, are just some details with a brush.

I'll take the pictures before assembling all the pieces and hope that everything goes well ...
Keep in touch.

Saludos

I really like where this build is going!
As for the Mr Surfacer, Laquer thinner might do the trick to get it back to it's original consistancy.
I had some partial succes with adding thinner. But it will lessen the lifetime of the bottle of Mr Surfacer if you pour thinner in the Mr Surfacer jar.
Therefore i think it will be batter to add laquer thinner in a separate mixing jar for the amounth you want to use and leave the thicker consistancy in the Mr Surfacer jar as it is.
I still use some mr Surfacer that's pretty old and thick adding levelling thinner, though I only use it to brush it as I think that it will clog the airbrush...

I'm going to follow your advice Jerry, I also think I will not use it on the airbrush again.
His advice, compliments and recommendations are getting the birth of another nice model we are doing together. Thanks guys
Saludos

Users who are viewing this thread