Back in the air (almost)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gumbyk

Master Sergeant
Apr 2, 2009
Blenheim
Just watched the engine runs on a Spitfire that has just made it out of the hangar.
It had a landing mishap down here in January while practicing for an airshow.Spitfire crashes at Masterton Aerodrome - page 1 - Wairarapa - NZ Herald News
Looks like it will be in the air just in time for hte airshow season to begin.
I'm not sure how the runs went, as I'm on the opposite side of the airfield, but it sounded sweet from here. Here's hoping all the systems went as well.

I'll try and get some pics soon. We've got an open day on teh 6th December, it should be on display then.

Well,
I was all set to get some photos this Sunday (we're planning an open day), but there has been a(nother) mishap with this machine on landing. I was watching it beat up the airfield, and then it was on the ground, with no wheels. Not sure what happened yet, whether it was a problem on landing, or what, but the pilot looked OK, just some damage to the aircraft.

You heard it here first folks... It happened about 10 minutes ago.

Well,
I was all set to get some photos this Sunday (we're planning an open day), but there has been a(nother) mishap with this machine on landing. I was watching it beat up the airfield, and then it was on the ground, with no wheels. Not sure what happened yet, whether it was a problem on landing, or what, but the pilot looked OK, just some damage to the aircraft.

You heard it here first folks... It happened about 10 minutes ago.

Is this not the best forum ever?! Quicker than TMZ! :)

I just wish it was better news.
I was talking to the owner last weekend, and has was really happy to have it back in the air after its last accident. I can't even comprehend how he must be feeling now.

question.....

On a belly landing or similar controlled crash and the propeller is striking the ground, is there something in the way the prop is attached to the shaft to allow it to break as to "control" any damage that may be done to the engine? Kind of like a key pin on a tractor's PTO.

Nothing like that, Thor.
The prop is bolted directly to either the crankshaft or the gearbox output.

Generally the force is a bending one on the crankshaft in an accident like this, from the forward movement of the aircraft, rather than the torsional one of the prop turning, as there usually is very little power on at the time of impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back